1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stock radiator ok for 350 V8?

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by joey93turbo, Jul 13, 2005.

1. joey93turbo

joey93turbo

My cruiser has a 300hp crate 350 and the previous owner has been running the stock radiator. He says he's had no problems with it and I haven't either, but I've heard running the stock radiator can decrease the life of the engine. What's the word on this?

2. coolcruiserfj40

coolcruiserfj40

take it off road in low range and see what your temps do

3. lone gunman

lone gunman

my 350 has been fine with factory radiator for 3 years now, allthough i did go new radiator when doing the V-8 swap and make sure you have a shroud. and my temps are fine.

4. Vitesse_6

Vitesse_6

It was 103 deg. today and I was driving in traffic, Didnt get any higher than 210, But I also have a 190 deg. therm, As long as things are in good working order there shouldnt be too much of an issue, But there are alot of veriables. I dont have a shrowd either.....
    Good luck

5. cruzerman350

cruzerman350

the only problem i have ever had with a stock radiator is the fan shroud. make sure you have one that channels the air well. as far as temps i never( since the new shroud) go over 200. before shroud 220-230. bad news

6. coolcruiserfj40

coolcruiserfj40

ive got a griffen aluminum no should ad a 180 thermo and it usualy doesnt get above 175

7. ranger

ranger

You can get away with a stock radiator depending on what kind of climate you live in. When I lived in California my V-8 cruiser would have heat issues in the summer, was fine at low speed, but once you got on the highway the temps would keep going higher the faster I went. I could only go about 60 mph and maintain 200 degree temps with he heater on. WHich sucked when it was 90+ degrees outside. I tried everything to get the temps down, but the ony way to correct the problem effectively was to get a learger surfaced radiator. The custom 4 core cruiser rad just didn't cut it.

8. dgangle

dgangle total rice SILVER Star

Ditto for AL. Also "too high" means different things to different people so someone stating "it runs OK" to me is irrelevant. What is OK? My engine builder says 230. I understand newer FI engines run a 205 T-stat. My point is there are 5000 variables to which your situation may not apply.

9. Franky40

Franky40

We have four cruisers in our little group, 3 are fine and the other one has tried everything to keep temps down. He has a Griffin aluminum fan, new shroud, he's tried dual electric fans, 2 different cooling fans, and changed thermostat and water pump. it still runs to hot. As far as the stock radiator goes, I am a firm believer that having the radiater boiled and cleaned makes a world of difference.

10. nuclearlemon

nuclearlemon not an addict Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    a guy in our club has b een running a stock rad for decades behind his v8 with no issues ever

11. dgangle

dgangle total rice SILVER Star

This is exactly what I mean. What is temperature is "fine" and "too hot"? Boiled and cleaned is irrelevant if the radiator is new.

12. camcruiser13

camcruiser13

Media:
    Albums:
    no probs here, gets warm but nothin to freak about

13. mendomud

mendomud

Potter Valley, Mendocino County, CA --Where the pa
    For those of your with slight overheating problems, I can recommend Redline Water-wetter. I tried it years ago in an old econoline that had a bigger than stock engine with less-than-ideal airflow and it really worked. It supposedly works as a wetting agent that increases the heat transfer of your coolant, block and radiators. In my old van, it dropped coolant temps from 210 to 195 or so without any other changes. It has also worked for me in an old flathead v-8 forklift. I use it in most of my vehicles now as a "pint of prevention". (I have no financial interest in Redline)

14. camcruiser13

camcruiser13

Media:
    Albums:
  15. numtel

numtel

I'm having similar problems, I recently replaced my old 350 with a new crate motor 350. I'm running a 160 t-stat and stock radiator with a little bit of a shroud. The old engine would never get above 210 after I set the timing as retarded as it would still run decent. With the new engine it gets to 230 any time on the freeway but stays cooler on normal roads at about 45mph (205-210). Would an aluminum radiator help? It's about 100 degrees here so I would be happy if it was just like the old engine and not get higher than 210.