stock radiator cooling fan (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Taz

Threads
anybody have a stock radiator cooling fan? I was stupid and threw mine out a couple years ago after installing my TRD charger.

Also, please note: contrary to popular beleif the fan DOES cool the engine considerably at highway speeds! On a long downhill run (65mph) today with the engine good and hot...210 degrees...I put the tranny in N thus reducing the engine RPM's to 800. My engine temps droped very slightly (1-2 degrees) over about 5 miles. As soon as I reved to 2500 RPM's (still in N) my engine temps rapidly droped to 180. Go Figure!

Interesting, but I'm not sure how one would allocate the addtional cooling you observed at higher rpm between the faster turning fan, and the faster turning water pump.

The really interesting thing is that at 65 mph you should not need the fan, there should be plenty of air flow without it. What's blocking the air flow?

The Kenworth sized intercooler!:D :flipoff2:

Tools R Us said:
The really interesting thing is that at 65 mph you should not need the fan, there should be plenty of air flow without it. What's blocking the air flow?

This has been discussed a few times, and I disagree. I think we've seen cases where everything else was (supposedly) working properly, and a defective fan clutch was the cause of overheating at highway speeds (in hot weather, of course).

Curtis

FJ62's will over heat on the highway with a bad fan clutch, so will a POS 6.0 diesel ford... I agree with CJF the good fan clutch and fan blade are necc at 65 you just don't hear or feel it.

LandCruiserPhil said:
I call BS the TRD SC fan SUCKS.

No it doesn't.....and that's the problem..........;)

only things blocking the air flow are the ARB bumper/winch and IPF lights :) CDAN how much for a new STOCK fan?

Make d@mn sure that you trim enough off of the front of the fan, I did it and it seems to be plenty. Search Dan's post on how much and where to cut, I used a jig saw to cut the blades down and then filed them, and sanded it smooth. Now go get it.

rainy day, did you use the stock land cruiser fan or truck fan? did you see a difference in coolaing?

I used the fan that came with my land cruiser from the factory. I also put in a new 3 core radiator at the same time, so sorry the diff in cooling seemed to be split between the 2. I never had any overheating issues, yet only ran it the 2 core and TRD fan for a couple months in the spring without the heavy trailer. I pulled it hard down and up the Oregon coast with a 4800 lb trailer, not one hot run, lots of hills that last, and my foot making new dents in the floor. Trip went perfect, rig ran perfect to.

Rainy Day FZJ said:
Make d@mn sure that you trim enough off of the front of the fan, I did it and it seems to be plenty. Search Dan's post on how much and where to cut, I used a jig saw to cut the blades down and then filed them, and sanded it smooth. Now go get it.

I was afraid to cut the fan for fear of it eating my radiator.:crybaby: I glad you did and it worked.
How much clearance did you end up with between the blades and the radiator?
Did you reduce the spacer any?

I only overheated twice with the s/c but I'm pretty sure it was due to the radiator and fan clutch. Replaced both and never had it happen again...but...

the stock fan works great with the turbo :grinpimp:

funny you mentioned that about the turbo...talked to Slee today and they dino'd the new turbo for the 80 series, all I can say is turbo here I come!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom