1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stock power steering on a FJ60

Discussion in '60-Series Wagons' started by kling-on, Feb 11, 2004.

1. kling-on

kling-on Kool Arrow

Media:
    Albums:
    ok flame away ..... but my 60's power steering "groons" when i turn slow and yesterday it as cool in the 40's and i had NO power still the truck warmed up ??i have no leaks and full of fluid..... so would you replace the pump or box first ..... sound like the pump but i dont want to replace the wrong part cause i'm tryin to get ready for the Lonestar round up and cash is REAL tight.

thanks for anyhelp joel

2. Jman

Jman

I had this problem when I bought my truck--the p.o. let the fluid run real low and I think it got air in the system.

Whenever it made the noise, I would top it off and use the steering agressively (turning stop to stop). Eventually, I think I worked all the air out, and it's been fine since then.

Another possiblity is that you have PS fluid instead of ATF fluid in there? Toyota recommends the latter. Not sure why, or whether that produces a groan.

3. kling-on

kling-on Kool Arrow

Media:
    Albums:
    [quote author=Jman link=board=1;threadid=11364;start=msg103148#msg103148 date=1076509483]
    I had this problem when I bought my truck--the p.o. let the fluid run real low and I think it got air in the system.

Whenever it made the noise, I would top it off and use the steering agressively (turning stop to stop). Eventually, I think I worked all the air out, and it's been fine since then.

Another possiblity is that you have PS fluid instead of ATF fluid in there? Toyota recommends the latter. Not sure why, or whether that produces a groan.

[/quote]

i keep ckin and even kinda over filled it but its getting worse :(

4. Poser

Poser Oh...Durka Durka Durka. s-Moderator Supporting Vendor

Media:
    Albums:
    klingon...

A pump is in your future.....

Good luck!

-Steve

5. jl

jl

Kling-On

Before purchasing a new pump, try flushing the fluid out of the old one and refilling. My ps pump was groaning every winter until I decided to flush it out this fall. I would add fluid with mixed results. Sometimes the groaning would go away for a few weeks... I haven't had any problems this year. And it was -6F this morning. :eek:

6. kling-on

kling-on Kool Arrow

Media:
    Albums:
    [quote author=jl link=board=1;threadid=11364;start=msg103807#msg103807 date=1076600804]
    Kling-On

Before purchasing a new pump, try flushing the fluid out of the old one and refilling. My ps pump was groaning every winter until I decided to flush it out this fall. I would add fluid with mixed results. Sometimes the groaning would go away for a few weeks... I haven't had any problems this year. And it was -6F this morning. :eek:
    [/quote]

ya thanks Texican over on pirate said the same and i added Lucas to it too....ALL GONE so i'm stoked the p/s fluid looked like motor oil