Stock height 3 speed brake drum to diff pinion distance needed for driveshaft (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

navydivedoc

SILVER Star
Threads
Came up dry on a search for this. I have a 1961 FJ40 with a centered rear axle, running a 1972 J30 3 speed trans/t-case set-up, in the stock location. No lift. I am rebuilding a set of 1978 axles to upgrade to discs. So, I will go from the centered to the offset diff. To minimize downtime, I'd like to have a rear driveshaft made so I can drop everything in at the same time. Anyone know or could measure drum surface to pinion flange distance for me? Ideal would be from a truck without a hardtop. Thanks

20200602_112953_HDR-L.jpg

Wouldn't it be easier to find a decent used shaft that had the correct yoke flanges for each end? If the 78 pinion flange is different from the 72, get a 72 and 78 driveshaft and use the slip yoke from the 78 on the long end from the 72. We have a spare from a 69 in MI if you want it. It would need some cleaning up.

Wouldn't it be easier to find a decent used shaft that had the correct yoke flanges for each end? If the 78 pinion flange is different from the 72, get a 72 and 78 driveshaft and use the slip yoke from the 78 on the long end from the 72. We have a spare from a 69 in MI if you want it. It would need some cleaning up.
This is an excellent point, and I've looked into it. Cheaper yes, not sure if it's easier. Need to source the 78 slip yokes and flanges for both front and rear, drum side rear needs to be replaced or shortened, really need new U-joints on both ends of each shaft as well. Ship all of those parts from various places if I'm bargain hunting. I know MarkA would have what I need. Prices for a 78 slip yoke plus new U joints for each drive shaft were more than half the cost of a new and delivered Tom Wood's shaft. Calling Tom is definitely the easy button, and there's no concern about worn parts

Bottom line, yes you're correct and I appreciate the offer. Just not sure the $$ savings in the end offsets the unknown of used parts and the logistics of rounding them all up.

For used parts, he needs the J30 (8/69 to 1/74 - 2.10 x 180, 10mm) yoke end for mating to the transfer case flange? Then he needs the main body of the same driveshafts to have the correct lengths? Also necessary is the pinon flange to match the flange pattern on the shaft; or, he could swap in a u-joint flange yoke from the '78-era, on to the J30 shafts. '63 to '69 is a 2.20 x 1.88 pattern, 8mm bolts.

@navydivedoc i have a 12/72 chassis sitting. Just jumped into the 40 scene so if I can help, let me know exactly what measurements you need. I haven’t ordered the fsm yet so your descriptions of flanges are Greek to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom