Stock FJ62 radio question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
OK I have '88 and '89 cruisers. They both have different cassette/radio units. Did the style change between the years or were there different levels of sound systems. Knowing Toyota I would expect there was only 1 system for each year. :idea: I was wondering if I exchanged them with each other would it be a glaring inconsistancy. How easy/hard are they to remove and do they both come out the same? Thanks!

Removing the radio from a 62 is simple. You need to remove the screws that hold the dash bezel on and the trim around the heater controls - no more than 8 (approx) screws. Then disconnect the spedo cable and "twist" the dash bezel to reveal the radio. The radio itself is attached w/ 4 screws. All told 10 - 15 min. Definately a :banana: project

Thanks! Does yours have the square LCD display in the upper right hand corner? I'm wondering if it's the same as mine.

Yep, LCD is in theupper right hand corner.

I replaced the OEM radio w/ a Scion unit last year that has a single disk CD and Satelite Radion capabilities. Easy retro - you do need to trim the face plate on the Scion to fit the dash bezel opening - about 3/8" on each side. This a fairly popular way to get a CD/Satelite while leaving the dash bezel unmolested and even is a direct plug and play w/ the stock wiring harness for power and speakers.

Do you know if it is a true double DIN? I'm trying to put a DVD head unit in there. I was told by SOR that "it most likely is"

I was also planning on running a double din deck, if it is a true double, but it kind of looks like it may be a 1 and a half din. This Scion swap is intriging! My '88 also has the LCD in the upper right hand corner.

62s are double din

I was also planning on running a double din deck, if it is a true double, but it kind of looks like it may be a 1 and a half din. This Scion swap is intriging! My '88 also has the LCD in the upper right hand corner.

I apologize, but I was mistaken. My LCD is on the left side of my deck. :doh:

The Scion radio is a great replacement, here's a little info from when I did mine.

http://fj62.com/modifications/scion_radio.php

:cheers:

That's sweet. Looks quite nice! And I love the welcome screen. You wouldn't happen to know if it plays WMA format do you? How bout an amp pre-out? I don't plan on putting a booming system in my truck, as I don't wan't to give up too much cargo space, but I wouldn't mind putting in a single sub.

mtb_rider,

I wish I had an answer for you but I don't know much about the questions you ask. All I can say is I play my iPod through it and I'm happy with it. :doh:

I suggest reading some posts on the scionlife forum which should answer your questions. It's also a good place to pick up a unit since these guys dump their stock radios like they're junk. Last time I looked you could pick up an 2007 unit (suggested) for $50 - $100. Often better than eBay pricing. ;)

Hey Red Cruiser thanks for the info. I am seriously interested in doing the swap. The PO put in a 5 cd changer with a remote and just the controller mounted on the dash (it works but 10 yr old technology) My stock radio's LCD display has a blobbed out section. I need more info on the trimming of the Scion unit. Do you need to shave all 4 sides? If done carefully will the stock dash bezel cover the rough edges? I guess what I'm asking is can it be done clean enough to look factory? Thanks!

Mine doesn't look factory but I think if I were to do it again it would be close. I removed the entire inset section which was my mistake because it left a gap at the bottom. I was also pretty reckless with the dremel and hit on the visible areas.

My suggestion would be to remove the trim to work on it. The side to side fit is perfect and I'd just remove the inset fro the top and see where you are and trim the bottom if needed.

Take pics as you go along, I'd like to see another install besides my own. Maybe others who have done this will chime in and show how they trimmed theirs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom