Stock brakes and 35” tires (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’ve got a 1982 60 that I’m planning 62 gears soon and am concerned about the brakes being adequate with 35” tires. The brakes are in good shape, rebuilt this past spring, braided lines added. It has a 2” or so lift, so they should fit ok. I do go off-road occasionally, nothing crazy, not rock crawling or mud bogging. TIA

The stock brakes when new and fresh and working correctly are barely adequate for 31" tires in an emergency stop. Actually not adequate.

Try it and find out. You’ll get 200 different opinions here. Similar to the 80 series thread where some seem to think every 80 series head gasket is going to blow.

I bet it will be fine, drive it and see. Mine stops just fine on 33's.

The stock brakes when new and fresh and working correctly are barely adequate for 31" tires in an emergency stop. Actually not adequate.

50k miles and LA traffic hard stops. They work just fine. Up to Colorado, down the grades...no issues. You just learn that as the weight gets higher and rotational mass increases, you can't rely on JUST brakes. You are now driving a heavier, slower truck and in order to stop, you give yourself some distance and engine brake. Learn that and you'll be fine. I've never once thought about upgrading my brakes and I've had my close calls.

I’ve got a 1982 60 that I’m planning 62 gears soon and am concerned about the brakes being adequate with 35” tires. The brakes are in good shape, rebuilt this past spring, braided lines added. It has a 2” or so lift, so they should fit ok. I do go off-road occasionally, nothing crazy, not rock crawling or mud bogging. TIA

Been running That setup for about 50k miles now, hard wheeling, cross country, daily driving and everything under the sun.

does it work, yes

can you lock them up if need be, yes

will they hold me on on the side of a rock face, yes

do I want more braking force, yes

And I messing with it, no.
it’s A lot of work and money for the gain to be had

will I tell you to slap the tires on it and gears in it and see what you think. Yes

what do you have to loose?

good news is if you dont like them there are lots of options for improvement. I run 35's with 4 runner calipers in front, 80' axle & disks n rear, stop tech rotors, 80 master and its great for the most part, not new car great but its as good as I can imagine without ABS.

Been running That setup for about 50k miles now, hard wheeling, cross country, daily driving and everything under the sun.

does it work, yes

can you lock them up if need be, yes

will they hold me on on the side of a rock face, yes

do I want more braking force, yes

And I messing with it, no.
it’s A lot of work and money for the gain to be had

will I tell you to slap the tires on it and gears in it and see what you think. Yes

what do you have to loose?
Thanks for the input. your experience gives a good bit of comfort. I’ve driven old cars most of my life, rarely built in the decade owned, so that’s how I learned to drive. If I decide I can’t handle it, my son has an old GMC that can handle them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom