Stock battery cables wont reach new 31M battery posts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

chris777

TLCA member #12444
Threads
Website
mannphoto.com
I bought a new X2Power 31M battery from batteries plus. Brought it home, tried to install it. The battery cables wont reach the posts, because the battery is 1/2 inch taller and the posts are 2 inches further forward on the battery. If it were my FJ60 i would just buy longer battery cables at Autozone and replace them. Butcthis new modern 200 series, i cant even see the alternator and the there are two positive cables, one goes into the fuse box. I am intimidated to replace them. I am not that good of a mechanic. My 60 was so much easier to wrench on. Is there a solution i am not thinking of? Thanks.

This is why Slee sells battery canle extensions for use on type 31...

I wouldn't stress too much about it. It is the same thing as your FJ60 just a tighter space to work in and an extra wire. Just extend what you have to with the appropriate line. What is different is when you disconnect the battery in a 200 things will need to be reset. Like your seat settings and a bunch of other little things. Power windows I always have to reset after I take the negative off. It's not a big deal but annoying the first time till you figure it out.

There's several strategies including buying a slee kit. Here's how I did mine. Thread here

1593901108388.png

I love Slee. But dont buy their aluminum extensions. Easy material to mill, dumb material for battery terminals. #sorry

These guys are the bomb for battery cables. Last year we replaced all the wiring on all our snowplows.

Exact lengths we specified, heavy copper with excellent shielding. The connectors were exactly as specified and excellent crimps.

Fast service and excellent pricing.

Autozone is junk compared to this stuff.

8BD961EB-8784-4B7A-94EF-D722DBDEABD6.jpeg

I love Slee. But dont buy their aluminum extensions. Easy material to mill, dumb material for battery terminals. #sorry

I agree that the contact points on them can allow crud fouling between their flat, aluminum-to-aluminum sandwich...

Last edited:
thanks for your replies. I have ordered the Slee cable extensions. I will let you know how it works out.

On balance re potential contact fouling issues as noted above...I’ve only run into that once.

Do consider protecting the area where the extenders connect to each other...or at least be aware that if you ever run into what seems like an electrica failure...it could be that the contact surface between aluminum pieces simply need cleaning.

On balance re potential contact fouling issues as noted above...I’ve only run into that once.

Do consider protecting the area where the extenders connect to each other...or at least be aware that if you ever run into what seems like an electrica failure...it could be that the contact surface between aluminum pieces simply need cleaning.

protect it with shrink wrap? Or grease? Or a spray?

Will the 31M battery fit in the OEM battery tray with the OEM hold down?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom