stock audio system ohm (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have searched the threads, and have not found a definitive answer on this one. I blew a speaker (stock) and want to replace the speakers in the lower doors, but not the tweeters, subwoofer, amp or headunit.

I called the dealer and got a quote of 350 for a replacement speaker! I went to a big box store whose name implies that they have the best buys... anyway the installer tells me he cannot install speakers in my land cruiser because the stock system is a 2 ohm system.

Is this right?

For the record, I have an 03 LC with the JBL system with cassette and 5 disc dvd changer, and the factory Nav. Also have a Gulf States distributor installed dvd player in the back, which is not really integrated into the sound system.

As far as i know you should be able to install any speaker that fits.

The mark levinson in the LX is the one that is 2ohm impedance. The JBL units in the LC should be the regular 4ohm (or is it 8?), basically like any other car in the states

I have 04 LC . I replaced my JBL speakers with Polk DB 651. They were working before. I could sell old ones if you want to buy them "as is". Shipping charge might be a killer though. Polk DB 651 are 4 Ohm speakers. I believe stock JBL are 2 Ohm as I had a heartache with putting 4Ohm speakers in, but the dealer who sells them told me it will be ok, and he was right. Polks are $100 a pair. Replacement process is well documented on this web site. I hope this helps.

I learned this past weekend that you can put new foam on just about any blown speaker for 20-50 bucks in a shop.... or for 5-10 bucks do-it yourself.

I put new foam on my woofer on my 2001 LX mark Levinson and it is as good as new.... glue 4 bucks... foam 6 bucks on EBAY.

beats 450 bucks for new speaker from the dealer. Very easy to re-foam a speaker... just pull off old one and glue on new one.... I wish I figured out this trick years and years ago.

I learned this past weekend that you can put new foam on just about any blown speaker for 20-50 bucks in a shop.... or for 5-10 bucks do-it yourself.

I put new foam on my woofer on my 2001 LX mark Levinson and it is as good as new.... glue 4 bucks... foam 6 bucks on EBAY.

beats 450 bucks for new speaker from the dealer. Very easy to re-foam a speaker... just pull off old one and glue on new one.... I wish I figured out this trick years and years ago.

Yes it is, and that fix should last you several years. The build quality of the Lexus ML speakers is awful. It is truly amazing the system can sound as good as it does with such cheap equiptment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom