Stock 3 spd transmission leak help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am very new to FJ's and recently bought my first one. I still don't have it road worthy, but have started running it around my block. It has sat for about 4 years so I need to do various things like change fliuds, belt, hoses etc...
Well since I have started to get my FJ moving I have developed a trans leak. As best I can tell it's coming from where the trans & tranfer case join together. From what I can tell there is a gasket there, but because I am so new to these vehicles I'm not sure I'm looking at the right gasket.
Here's a link to the sor gasket I think I need, Trans to transfer case gasket It's listed as #22, under the # 50 block, just scroll down a little.
Could some one point me in the right direction & tell me if I have the right gasket? And how difficult a job replacing it is & is there anything else I need to do when I do this gasket?
For the record I have a December 1970 production date & a completly stock rig, with a 3 speed.

Thanks, Shawn

It is hard to tell where it is leaking just from ooking at where it is dripping from and the chances of the gasket are leaking are pretty slim. It might leak if the bolts were loose, so you might try tightening them. There are 5 bolts; two are accessible through the PTO cover on the drivers side. If you replace this gasket, you might as well rebuild the transfer case, since you will have it out.

Since you will have to open up the transfer case to change this gasket, take a good look inside and at all of your bearings. If you see anything that looks suspicious you might as well rebuild it. Using a rebuild kit and the service manual, it is pretty easy to do.

Well, it's leaking from that area and down the front section of the transfer case. I can see a clean spot on the transfer case housing, where it's been dripping from. I just assumed it was a gasket, but maybe you are right. The trans & case are covered heavy with grease and road grime. Maybe I'll power wash it, drop the oil, refill and recheck for the leak. I guess the oil could be a problem too, like I said it sat for a few years & I haven't changed it yet. In anycase I should do all that before I even think about popping the transfer case out.
But I could have sworn that I read that these gaskets are a common problem? Maybe I misread something.

Dragon158 said:
But I could have sworn that I read that these gaskets are a common problem? Maybe I misread something.

It is the seal between the tranny and transfer that is the problem; not the gasket. A bad seal will cause the tranny to overfill.

Pin_Head said:
It is the seal between the tranny and transfer that is the problem; not the gasket. A bad seal will cause the tranny to overfill.

Oh, OK. Then I could just check the trans & transfer case levels to verify that the seal is good. Does anyone have that seal part number or point it out on that sor diagram I posted, so I can see how it all fits together? Like I said I'm new to all this, thanks for the help. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom