stock 1969 4wd shifter? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've never seen this before and was curious if it was stock on the 69? It looks cool and I'd like to keep it if possible, but I know most owners put the shifter on the floor. Is it worth restoring and making functional as it sits on the dash or would I be better off going with a floor stick?
IMAG0022.jpg
IMAG0023.jpg

This is supposed to be stock for pre '69s. It looks cool and no, I wouldn't make any holes in the foor. I would keep your three in the tree and your vacuum lever where it is.

The one in the picture is 1966, 1968 to 1971 has padded dash and shifter under dash starting in 1972 with floor shifter.

I think 68/69 was the transition year for moving it from on the dash like this to under the dash just to the right of the steering wheel. That is manufacture date which is not always the same as the titled data. I would 100% keep it this way. it is cool. My 1962 was converted to on the floor shifters, I collected the parts in order to convert it back to this style with the three on the tree.

Any of the other experts know what is up with the pin on the chain? Will they not stay in high or low without the pin?

Since you are new here, welcome. Now show us a lot more pictures of the rest of you rig.

My early 68 (Sept. 67 production and titled Nov. 67) has teh padded dash with high low shifter under the dash. But in other markets that weren't required to have padded dash got the on the dash set up later.

What is missing in the first picture is the vacumm shifter that Dusty 66 has. As far as the chain and pin that keep the shifter locked in place. I see it useful for when off roading. If the passenger is bumping around the front seat they might push it in and put the transfer in neutral while climbing a hill. On the road the passenger might grab it while going around a corner and do the same thing. You have to remember these only had lap belts and in those days it was very common for people to not even wear seat belts at all. I believe the 63 model was the first year the Land Cruiser even had seat belts. This high/low shifter was standard in the FJ40 earlier than that.

Thanks for the help! Turns out the truck is listed as a 67 on the title - the seller thought it was a 69. That adds a whole different element to this thing :) I'll post more pics as soon as I get it in the driveway. The mechanic is working on the carburetor as I type. Is there a resource for pics of stock cruisers of this era? I'd love to get some close ups of the restored dash and the exterior. In particular I'd like to see some pics of the rear b/c I need to replace the tail lights so I can get it on the street.

Here is a 64 restore thread. If it like the holy grail of old fj40 restorations. Lots and Lots of pictures and discussions on how they came, what was stock etc. This guy did an amazing job of documenting everything.

Early tail lights to 1968 Idenical rear tail lights are the same small 3-1/4"

1969 to 73 are larger 4-3/4"

P1010239.jpg
1966 tail light

P1010230.jpg

1966 and 1967 are the same note: I added the 1968 back up Light

Are there any pictures...:hmm: Welcome to MUD :flipoff2:, thats not an insult its the greeting to NEWBIES :hillbilly: Yes, there are thousands of pics, of build threads, of Q&A discussions here on MUD. You will not find a richer resource of information on EVERYTHING LANDCRUISER! Go to the main forum page for 40- & 55- series tech and LOOK through the FAQ's, way to many hours of info to list. If you want to jump right into the meat of pics, just SEARCH (not the google one) the forum for 67' fj's and start reading/looking at what's there. It will become your new obsession, hope your not married :princess: ... :doh: Teasing, but seriously you can spend countless hours researching, and usually you find yourself going down rabbit trails because its all so interesting. Don't be afraid to ask questions but try to find it in the FAQ's if you can first, or if you just don't have the time to read all of them, just post your question ;)

More pics keep the masses happy :cheers:

thanks again dusty...also checked out the other pics of your rig. really really nice. just figured out the difference bet. that worthless google search vs. the forum search - much better :)

Don't overlook that google search. It can search this site better then this site can. Just force the site.
"stock 1969 4wd shifter site:ih8mud.com"
It might not find very new stuff but will find anything a few days old, and will find it in any section. It uses a different search algorithm and also uses root words where this site does not. So example
on this site
"stock 1969 4wd shift" will not find this post, but on google it will since s*** is the root word of shifter. So on google
"stock 1969 4wd shift site:ih8mud.com"
will find posts with "shifter" and "Shift Linkage" Shift Handle" etc.
With people wording stuff a little differently then you expect or you would google will find it better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom