Stock '04 - possible tranny failure at 282k??? HELP (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So earlier this week my stock and well maintained '04 left me stranded for the first time ever.

Was all warmed up and driving around like any other day. Stopped at a friends house and noticed a faint knocking sound from front of the engine. Was not correlated at all to engine speed and thought just a tensioner or pulley. Sound stopped and all was well for about 15 miles. Then at a light the tranny slipped briefly at startup and something obviously was wrong now. Pulled off immediately to a gas station parking lot and noticed lots of smoke and burning smell. Opened hood and tranny fluid everywhere, and I mean everywhere and leaking out at front of engine. I just assumed a tranny coolant hose burst and once all the fluid got low, caused the tranny to "slip". No warning lights, no CEL, no tranny high temp light or anything. Towed to dealer and assumed they would fix hose, refill and be good.

They called and only so far... "it's not just the coolant line. Something's up with the transmission." They are waiting to their senior tech to review and advise.

Any one else have a similar issue or thoughts on what may have happened? Tranny's been bulletproof forever. Never an issue at all. Concerned I'm going to get the dreaded "you need a new tranny" call. Hoping it's just something minor.

Thoughts???

Maybe just fix the burst transmission fluid lines, refill the transmission by the dealer and then test drive by yourself. I would be surprised if any real damage to the transmission for this short period of time. Also if the dealer didn't fix the transmission line and refill, how would they know the transmission itself has problem?

X2, they need to fix the leak and fill to proper level before diagnosing anything else

UPDATE:
They confirmed it was a transmission cooling line that burst. Said the bracket that holds it down came loose and caused the hose to bang around and finally rupture.
The "transmission issue" was really a driveshaft being overextended where I lubed all the fittings a few days prior. Didn't think I put that much lube in it but not doing that again.

Hopefully with the new hose and fluid fill everything will be back to normal, minus the mess that got everywhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom