Stinkbug look (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

jvazquez53

El Tractor
Threads
Website
www.facebook.com
I searched the forum and did not find anything that tells me how to eliminate the "stinkbug" look on my daughter's 100. Anyway to get rid of this??? :hmm:

"stinkbug"

Crank the torsion bars.

Screen Shot 2014-03-17 at 8.14.06 PM.jpg

If it's a stock 100 Series you just need to adjust the front torsion bars to level it out. Search there are many threads on this subject. Search "Torsion bars" or "tbars"

When you crank the torsion bars, it adjusts the alignment and will have a significant affect on tire wear. I recommend adjust the height to your desired preference and then visit an alignment shop. For some idiotic reason they don't include height adjustment in most alignment procedures, and will adjust caster and camber as it sits on their machine.

When you raise it up the front end will wobble more on the highway. It's stinkbug for a reason.

Thanks for the info. That vehicle probably wont see any off road trail. The picture might show how high is the back versus the front. :popcorn:

LC2.jpg

I don't mean to be a stinker, but you've got almost 3000 posts in ih8mud and you don't know about how to level out a LC with torsion bars and how to adjust them?

I could be jumping to conclusions and you just may be an earlier Landcruiser person, in which case none of the earlier LC's had torsion bars.

On the bright side, there is a really good post on re-indexing your tbars that I just did a few weeks ago. Just a suggestion if your tbars are all the way cranked and you need to re-index.

Cheers.

Because of the ARB bar your front may be a little bit lower than normal. Check out the posts that 2000UZJ found and see how much to crank your torsion bars and how to measure the proper amount from front tire to rear tire.

Has anyone ever looked at how eliminating the stink bug (raising the front end) changes the center of gravity? Its definitely something we could get some good information out of.... Like, raising the front X inches leads to a shift in the Center of Gravity Y inches towards the back..... I might run with this.....

Has anyone ever looked at how eliminating the stink bug (raising the front end) changes the center of gravity? Its definitely something we could get some good information out of.... Like, raising the front X inches leads to a shift in the Center of Gravity Y inches towards the back..... I might run with this.....

Not a bad idea, if you can measure and track it properly.

Not a bad idea, if you can measure and track it properly.
definitely, I think I could come up with something....might have a few assumptions worked in that might oversimplify it all, but itd be pretty basic geometry, I could get it done in xcel (although I HATE that software haha)... If I have a few minutes this weekend I will start on it.

definitely, I think I could come up with something....might have a few assumptions worked in that might oversimplify it all, but itd be pretty basic geometry, I could get it done in xcel (although I HATE that software haha)... If I have a few minutes this weekend I will start on it.
Nice! Well if you get stuck on the excel part please feel free to hit me up! I like the idea of this project and I use excel extensively at work to analyze data ;) PPC/PLA marketing and web analytics.

Nice! Well if you get stuck on the excel part please feel free to hit me up! I like the idea of this project and I use excel extensively at work to analyze data ;) PPC/PLA marketing and web analytics.

Very cool, I much prefer MATLAB :) Excel just seems contrived to me, MATLAB just does what I tell it, no cells or nothin, just my script :) I used it a lot while in school, all the civil engineers tried to convince me that Excel is just as powerful, if not more so than MATLAB.....then I showed them my 3D temperature distribution plot from my finite difference method, Heat Transfer is a beautiful thing ;)

I might make a thread for discussion on this topic, during my initial stabs I realized I need someone to bounce some of my ideas off of (mainly about my assumptions)... I need to look at my LC and determine what angle the UCA/LCA mounts relative to the ground plane, they shouldnt be parallel, therefor at full droop wheel base will be longer than at full bump. I will admit that this is a bit more complicated than I originally thought, but I think I can still get something useful.

I also need to dig up my old statics textbook....or dig through my FE Handbook.... ill get to it.... but the beach is calling right now hahaha.

269888_4391980752140_1486875566_n.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom