Still wanders after new rack bushings (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
2007 LX 470 was wandering going down the road. Inspect the front end all ball joints look good. Only movement was the rack shifting side to side when shaking the tires. I hoped that would fix the problem but it still wanders wile going down the road. The rear end bushings seem tight also. Any ideas?
thanks

This may sound stupid but how are the tires? I had what sounds like the same issue and getting a new set of tires made a huge improvement. My truck is completely stock and tire size is stock. I got Toyo Open Country HT's and love them.

Wondering if the rack is still moving when moving front tires left and right after your bushings change? Or if its tight and firm?

Also, you can try to turn your steering wheel back and forth with engine on and see if your entire rack moves still. I put my phone camera on video on the ground and do this solo.

Just trying to eliminate some causes.

Ok, so I checked my tire psi. My KM3’s had 45psi in them. I decreased to 35psi and the handling is much improved.

I wanted to post a few concerns on a similar topic here.

My rig also tends to wander / pull to the right and I am wonder what are the symptoms of a failing steering rack ( not just the bushing) I find myself always applying a slight bit of pressure to steer to the left to keep it driving straight.

It seems like if I turn to the right slightly, at highway speeds, the wheel doesn't really come back to center. If I am going around a gentle curve I can kid of just turn the wheel and then let go and it will steer me through. On the flipside If I turn left it springs back to center as you would expect.

Toyota spent a good deal of time aligning the truck and trying to make it stay straight but the end result was that it still pulls / fades to the right even with perfect numbers on the alignment rack. Tires are brand new and the problem also happened on my older tires as well. Brakes are new oem and not rubbing. Tie rods and steering components are all nice and tight.

I'm not sure if I should even care about this issue, not sure if it's worth chasing at the cost and time involved in replacing the rack which may not even fix the problem. Steering is general is just feeling loose as the miles add up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom