Still Searching for the "Perfect" 80 (1 Viewer)

Which would you recommend for a newbie looking to get his hands greasy?

• 92 with records 167k miles $5000

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • 94 with no records 170k miles $7000

Votes: 24 80.0%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Looks like a nice truck, for sure. Just keep in mind that SBC swaps limit the resale value. If you look at trucks like FJ40s that have had swaps done, they typically sell for much less than those that have the original Toyota motor. Just be sure everything works before you pull the trigger and if he can write down everything that was done, it might help in the future if you have problems. You won't be able to rely on the FSM and if you are newish to wrenching, that might be a problem and cause you to spend money on labor to figure things out that you otherwise could have done yourself.

The good news about the Chevy swap would be parts availability.

IMG_1640.JPG
Don't search no more! I already have the perfect 80

Is it for sale?

Couple of thoughts:

The 3FE and 1FZ-FE are both gutless wonders.

I wouldn't buy a rig that had the head rebuilt unless I knew who did it.

I wouldn't buy a rig with rust unless it was REALLY cheap. Like $1000 cheap. Then I would treat it like a rental and beat the sh!t out of it until it dies or the body disintegrates.

I wouldn't buy a rig that has had a motor conversion unless it had a reputable name behind the work.

Have cash ready. When you find a clean, running 80 pull the damn trigger. Sweating over $1000, in the grand scheme of things seems silly if you are going to keep it. 5 years x 12 months = 60 months. That's $16.67/month.

I wouldn't take the word of any maintenance the PO says has been done. I would go through every truck as if it had been ignored. I would overall the cooling system first. Then address the oil leaks. You can add moly to the knuckles indefinitely.

Good luck

Couple of thoughts:

The 3FE and 1FZ-FE are both gutless wonders.

I wouldn't buy a rig that had the head rebuilt unless I knew who did it.

I wouldn't buy a rig with rust unless it was REALLY cheap. Like $1000 cheap. Then I would treat it like a rental and beat the sh!t out of it until it dies or the body disintegrates.

I wouldn't buy a rig that has had a motor conversion unless it had a reputable name behind the work.

Have cash ready. When you find a clean, running 80 pull the damn trigger. Sweating over $1000, in the grand scheme of things seems silly if you are going to keep it. 5 years x 12 months = 60 months. That's $16.67/month.

I wouldn't take the word of any maintenance the PO says has been done. I would go through every truck as if it had been ignored. I would overall the cooling system first. Then address the oil leaks. You can add moly to the knuckles indefinitely.

Good luck
I feel like I was just man handled by my mom aftetndipping a hand into the cookie jar! Good advice, I was thinking the same thing. Why fret over $1000 bucks when it's in pretty darn good shape for most 80's out there these days.

I feel like I was just man handled by my mom aftetndipping a hand into the cookie jar! Good advice, I was thinking the same thing. Why fret over $1000 bucks when it's in pretty darn good shape for most 80's out there these days.

I'm all for trying to save a few bucks but there comes a point when you have to realize you are sacrificing or missing out on having fun because you are wasting time trying to save a few bucks.

One other thing: I would widen your search to include AZ, NM, CA. There are a lot of 80s out there in those states. CA especially. All of them are rust free (assuming they are from those states). Shipping is fairly cheap. There are mud members all over that can go look at a rig for you. Give them a couple of hundred bucks for their time and to be thorough.

That sure looks like a leaking power steering pump to me. Very common problem. People top them up with power steering fluid, which makes them leak like a sieve. A Gates rebuild kit and a new bearing is about $50, and it takes a couple hours to rebuild.

IMO, that steering knuckle looked acceptably gross. They continuously emit grease, and unless someone is under there steam cleaning it, it's going to accumulate. Better greasy and oily than rusty, I always say.

It's getting tough to find them with under 200k miles. Personally, I think mileage is secondary. If the engine sounds good (smooth, no rattles), and the transmission operates properly, that's the main thing. At the age of these rigs, I think you should plan on rebuilding the power steering pump and replacing the alternator, starter, and probably the fuel pump just to be safe. And unless you have receipts showing a recent rebuild, absolutely plan on about $200 for parts and grease to for the front Birfields.

Here's a $5500 '97 with 189k miles in Seattle: 97' Toyota FZJ80 Landcruiser

Here's a $6500 '95 with 124k miles in Los Angeles, but good luck snagging it: 1995 Toyota Land Cruiser, Auto.4WD, 124k Miles, very good condition

Edit: LOL they bumped their price from $6500 to $10k overnight.

Last edited:
That sure looks like a leaking power steering pump to me. Very common problem. People top them up with power steering fluid, which makes them leak like a sieve. A Gates rebuild kit and a new bearing is about $50, and it takes a couple hours to rebuild.

IMO, that steering knuckle looked acceptably gross. They continuously emit grease, and unless someone is under there steam cleaning it, it's going to accumulate. Better greasy and oily than rusty, I always say.

It's getting tough to find them with under 200k miles. Personally, I think mileage is secondary. If the engine sounds good (smooth, no rattles), and the transmission operates properly, that's the main thing. At the age of these rigs, I think you should plan on rebuilding the power steering pump and replacing the alternator, starter, and probably the fuel pump just to be safe. And unless you have receipts showing a recent rebuild, absolutely plan on about $200 for parts and grease to for the front Birfields.

Here's a $6500 '95 with 124k miles in Los Angeles, but good luck snagging it: 1995 Toyota Land Cruiser, Auto.4WD, 124k Miles, very good condition
Oh wow yeah anybody in LA wanna go check out a cruiser for me and drive it to CO for me all expenses paid?!

Thanks for the run down, I was pleased with how engine and transmission ran. I'm sure no major issues would pop up with this rig, just trying to guess how many minor ones will. But that's apart of the Land Cruiser ownership right.

Well... Owner is pretty firm on price as of now. It's only been listed a week and they have had around 5 people interested so far. After hearing your comments on the issues and PM it would need I dont feel comfortable paying $7K. I think my happy place would be right around $5,500. So we will see if it stays on the market long enough to bring the price down...
I just bought my 95 fzj80 for 4500 in similar shape, very clean interior and not messed with. So far no surprises and it drove real good and engine is as smooth as can be. Zero rust Az truck

Edit: LOL they bumped their price from $6500 to $10k overnight.
Haha must have been getting hit up like crazy! I sent em a text just to see haha and didn't hear anything back

Haha must have been getting hit up like crazy! I sent em a text just to see haha and didn't hear anything back

I've found that text messages (and email) rarely get a response on CL listings. You pretty much have to call if you want any response on an in-demand item.

Pics??

Get a 1FZ powered rig, with little to no rust, and look inside the fuse box under the hood, at the battery wiring and under the dash. It would be best to find one without a bunch of mickey mouse wiring by previous owners.
Rust is a major problem - don't get one with a lot of that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom