Still no AC blower fan or brake lights (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well, if you read my earlier post about identifying what ended up being the AC Amplifier, I replaced my blower motor resistor, blower motor relay, checked that the blower motor wasn't just bound up inside the housing, ran it direct with a battery, double checked the circuit breaker, etc all without actually fixing anything.

I'm thinking next steps are just going to be tracing voltage, which probably should have been my first step, but I really do not like doing it for some reason.

In an attempt to make that easier, last night I got under the dash and proceeded to cut out the old Alpine security system that I had put on the truck in college. I started by pulling and cutting wires one at a time, starting the truck in between each cut. That really cleaned up the wiring above the pedals. One mishap, in doing this, I either finally burned out my starter solenoid, or missed my steps in between the last two wires and cut my ignition wire. (I got a little lazy on the last couple wires and pulling relay wiring.) Was able to start it by jumping the solenoid, so I know its one of those two things. I unplugged all the relays mounted to the driver's side firewall to see if anything changed either. I don't think any of them are actually being used (headlight cleaner relay and the other two there above it).

So my best guess on the AC blower is either a bad ground, or I have damaged the power wire to the blower fan somewhere. Both relays I have click so I know the problem is in between there and the motor itself.

A couple other things I know I have going: no taillights/brakelights/parking lights (headlights, reverse lights, and blinkers front and rear still work), brand new alternator doesn't seem to charge (guessing this is a ground issue as I replaced the alternator a couple weeks ago because it was doing the same thing).

Plan is to replace every ground that I can find in the engine bay and work my way back.

I guess I could jump the circuit breaker real quick to test it out.

Start first with your fusible links. Everything in the truck is powered by one of only three, and all of the things you just said don't work belong the same fusible link. I had the same issue

The cabin fan is grounded by a buss connector (that can fry) behind the gauges.
Many years ago my fan went out and I didn't have the time to troubleshoot and fix the problem properly. I only had a weekend to "fix" it.
So I rewired the fan with new 12AWG wire directly to the battery with a separate 30A fuse. Holy cow the fan blew strong! The new thick wire really brought to light how insufficient and tiny the wiring harness wires are.

Okay, update:

Looks like it was a series of unfortunate events. Replaced one of the fusible links, and got my taillights back. Jumped the circuit breaker and got the cabin fan back running.

Still don’t have brake lights. Thinking I need to throw different bulbs in to make sure.

Still have to get the ignition re-attached.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom