1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Still impressed

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by coldtaco, Aug 1, 2005.

1. coldtaco

coldtaco

Still impressed with my 70 how well it does when going on road trips. Just got back from driving about 700mi. in two days. Average mpg was about 19-20.5mpg while driving mostly 65mph with lots of hills. That little turbo sure makes this machine do wonders. It will maintain speed up most hills even gain speed going up as long as you don't forget to plan ahead with giving a little gas before the hill starts for the more steeper climbs. This thing does alot better in the hills than my 03 Taco with the V6 and slush box. I hate the slush box!!!!! It is also pretty good at carving corners :D I can maintain the straightaway speed into most corners. It does get a bit loud when driving over 60mph. Just wish I could have a Troopie for the extra room and camp in. Oh well.

2. Satamax

Satamax

South western alps south east part of France. Righ
    Hi Coldtaco! That's a LJ ? If yes, carefull on long drives at 65MPH! In europe people are having a lot of trouble with the 2LT's head! When it's not that infamous VM engine they've fitted in Italian and spanish LJ's! Why would you want a toyota with the sh-ittiest engine that has been on land rovers ?

3. Stone

Stone Moderator

Nope...Stephan has a Canadian BJ70 that has a 13B-T transplant and JDM xJ7x cable locking axles. You can tell it's not an LJ by the turn signal/marker light pods on the fenders.

4. crushers

crushers post ho

everytime i read comments like this i have to laugh, the 4 cylinder Toyota Diesels 2L, 2LT. B, 3B, ALL have the same weakness, a s***ty head.
    personally, the 2LT with a bit of massaging is a very impressive engine.

let's see what else is crappy on the 3B (the best of the Toyota motors in most people's minds)?
    oh yah, poor quality precups, cracks in the heads, vacumm pumps that fail, water pumps that fail, over heating problems from poor cooling designs,edic motors that fail, edic controlers that fail, all very expensive repairs (except water pump).

so what makes this engine any better than the 2L-T? other than your personal distast for the little bugger?
    cheers

5. Technikev

Technikev

Hey Wayne, is there any way to be a bit proactive and reduce or eliminate these failures on the 4 bangers? You know, just so one doesn't get a surprise failure on the road and maybe get stranded.

I know the 13BT is very similar to the 3B. Obviously not the precups, but which of these areas could affect the factory turbo?

-Kevin

6. Red Herring

Red Herring

Media:
    Albums:
    Boy... I had thought that the 3B was a hum dinger of a motor... what is your take on the 2H, 12HT for weaknesses Wayne?

7. crushers

crushers post ho

12HT, is about as bullet proof as i have come across, the 2H has no sleaves so if the oil changes are missed the cylinder walls really wear as well as the ring groves wear big time...

8. Eric Winkworth

Eric Winkworth

They are a pretty solid motor, Wayne just gets to see all the crap that comes into his shop. A I can't see a motor like that cracking a head for no reason at all. I think half the problem is people driving the freakin bag off them, IMO. I know I seem to sometimes.

I'm sad, I don't like to hear stuff like that from Wayno. Well I'm saving for a motor anyhow. The new motor isn't going in until the old 3b dies, which I hope isn't for another 10 years at least.

what are the chances of finding me a 12HT to drop in down the road Wayne? How much am I looking at spending?

9. crushers

crushers post ho

get a pyro and watch the temps which lead to cracking...
    change the oil religiously
    do NOT over heat, period.
    vacumm pump, unknown way to prevent.
    cheers

10. Eric Winkworth

Eric Winkworth

Hummmmm, thing I may go get a new water pump installed, as it is prolly stock, good idea on the pyro.

I always change my oil every 3000 even on my diesel, I don't care oil is cheap and I like to see how long I can can stuff last.

Vacum pump, how can you tell when it goes? What happens?

11. Greg_B

Greg_B

The 3B is a hum dinger of an engine...

gb

12. Satamax

Satamax

South western alps south east part of France. Righ
    Oioioioioi Wayne, calm down! :D I don't hate the 2LT, i've never driven one! I'm just reporting what we hear on the french forums, where a lot of people have the LJ 7* series. I hate the VM that's for sure! They have the reputation of having weaker diffs too due to the smaller ring and pinion. The KZJ7 have the worse reputation of all over here, nice fast engine, but every week we hear another story about overheating and bad heads. The B?3B and 13BT have a far better reputation over here, but they are in vehicule which is thought as being not as comfy and more of an off orad one, that you don't take much to the motorway, thought this way, they don't blow the heads as much may be, and there's a fair bit less BJ7 than LJ's over here. The best reputation of all i think is the HJ6 ones, may be i'm biassed! :D

Bye.

Max.

13. Greg_B

Greg_B

Yes...pretty much the same thing I understand too.

I don't think it's a highway thing though, as I've bagged the piss out of my 3B in the BJ60 and BJ42 on the road in strong headwinds, and mountian terrain on the highways...

gb

14. Tapage

Tapage Club 4X4 Panamá SILVER Star

I have a 2H engine .. and I'm need to be agree with Wayne, in overhead problems, off course a poor coling desing in this system..

But if you are a TLC lover and you know the limitations of your engine .. you can take care with it. In my case I get some more diesel ( more that shy :D can burn in some conditions ) but with more diesel comes, more frecuent oil changes, pyrometer, electric fan and very atentive with the temp when you put you foot down in the trothle ..

Is easy .. and you have a powerfull and reliable engine. Is the same thing with 3B and with turbo engine you need to add time to get down the temp in the turbo.

15. Vegard

Vegard

If you read the german forum, buschtaxi.de, you will find that in general the 2L-T's will crack long time before the 3B's. Not much disagreement about that.

Also, the earliest 2H engines (up to 83 ?) had piston sleeves.

Take a look at these cruisers for sale in Finland, note their milage! ( Mittarilukema = Mileage)

http://www.nettiauto.com/simpleSear...type=&pfrom=&pto=&yfrom=&yto=1990&search=Etsi

Dont worry about your engines, they will run for a long time, and the B and H series even longer...

16. Gold Boy

Gold Boy

I like my bj74 13bt 130000kms. However the factory head gasket craked, the head was ok. The after market (not toyota) gasket was 3-4 times more heavy and generaly stronger than the stock one and is just fine.

Who here drives there bj74 up off road long very very steep hills at 35C+ and has had a hot engine but not in the red.???

17. Greg_B

Greg_B

Gold Boy...

Where are you?

Any talk I have ever heard about the 3B/13BT and head gaskets have always been...stay far far away from aftermarket gaskets. In fact, I know a few people who have had to change back to factory...

What make was the aftermarket gasket?

Thanks

gb

18. Eric Winkworth

Eric Winkworth

you have to realize that there are pobably alot of aftermarket gaskets you usally get what you pay for, although you would think the toyota one would be the best.