Still Having Charging Problems (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I've replaced the alternator with an external regulator twice now. Added a little water to the battery (new battery). Replaced battery cable terminals. Checked grounds and wiring to starter and ignition. The car takes a jump and then looses charge quickly. Will not start back up. I hear one click from the starter.

From my knowledge all that I can think of is bad cables throughout charging system somewhere not visible to the eye. Please help I am trying to get this thing running perfectly to sadly sell.:doh:

I've forgotten all the details from the last thread & I normaly I would still lean towards bad/loose cables. But I think you have already ruled that out.

How long does it take to drain all the power from the battery? Overnight ??, 2 days ??. Have you eliminated a battery drain. There are many better ways to find a batt drain but I am electrially challanged & sometimes resort to this old fashion way. This way is especially helpful if your batt drains down overnight.

Pull 1/2 of your fuses & see what happens overnight. If not dead, replace & pull the other half. See what happens the next night. This can help determine where your drain is coming from. When you find the half that the drain is coming from start your search or pull 1/2 of those to narrow it down further. Weird items can be on a circut so a electrial diagram of your particular system is a must when looking for a short/drain this way.

HTH John

John;

first guess, starter motor solenoid has migrated copper (worn contacts) and is a high resistance to the battery; discharging same while in the "key off" position.

Requires starter contact replacement.

if you disconnect the battery does it hold a charge?

a new battery doesn't mean it's good. if it holds a steady voltage with it disconnected but then starts to decline as soon as you hook it back up, you've got some kind of parasitic draw.

then it's time to start pulling fuses until you find the offending circuit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom