Still have some death wobble, thoughts?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

piecemeal

SILVER Star
Threads
Lifted my 74 a bit. Added hell creek springs, skyjacker black max shocks, shackle reversal, upgraded shackles, new spring mounts, new tie rod ends, rehabbed knuckles, OME steering dampener, and rehabbed center arm, yet I still have some death wobble if I hit a manhole cover at around 35-40 mph. Faster it seems to not be as pronounced as well as slower.

Is it possible there’s just gonna be some minor death wobble I’m going to have to deal with indefinitely? I’m running 32x12 BFG ATs on 15” wagon wheels at 32 psi all around. Drag link is ok and steering box and tag joint are fairly tight too. Caster angle is on the money as well.

What is your "on the money" number for caster? Were you running those tires before when you had the issue? Tough one to beat sometimes. Tires are overlooked a lot of times.

You didn't mention if you replaced the bushings (I'll bet you did, but just asking). A little play anywhere in your suspension system will give you undesirable results, especially when you get a suspension input like a bump or pothole at the right speed....

Good luck

My wobble problems were from my old wheels. They must have been bent or something. People at the tire store couldn’t tell, but when I replaced them the wobble went away. I run 35” x 12.5” mud terrains on 15” wheels.

You didn't mention if you replaced the bushings (I'll bet you did, but just asking). A little play anywhere in your suspension system will give you undesirable results, especially when you get a suspension input like a bump or pothole at the right speed....

Good luck

Yup def new bushings
Is your toe-in set correctly? I needed an additional 1/18th” to eliminate death wobble at 35-40mph.

I believe so. I'll double check though. It tracks straight as an arrow and only gets the shakes when I clip a large pothole at 35-40 mph
My wobble problems were from my old wheels. They must have been bent or something. People at the tire store couldn’t tell, but when I replaced them the wobble went away. I run 35” x 12.5” mud terrains on 15” wheels.

Yeah, I'm wondering about this too. Was your wobble continuous or sporadic?

What is your "on the money" number for caster? Were you running those tires before when you had the issue? Tough one to beat sometimes. Tires are overlooked a lot of times.

I'll measure tonight. When we did the shackle reversal, a lot of things changed, but all the rehabs and replacements have tightened things up considerably from stock and it so much more capable since it's been lifted (also added a ubolt flip to get a little more ground clearance). X2 on the tires I'm thinking....

Thanks for the feedback guys!! I appreciate it :steer::beer:

"Caster angle is on the money as well. "

what is it at?

most suspension upgrades need the shim depending on size especially when you increase the shackle length... did you install a shim? what size lift?

You didnt mention about having the wheel balanced or if they were new or used.... or if the wheel bearings had been replaced or repacked checked for play

Probably not it, but I had identical symptoms (2.5 skyjacker lift) and re-torquing the u-bolts fixed my wobble. Been 12 years with no repeats.

"Caster angle is on the money as well. "

what is it at?

most suspension upgrades need the shim depending on size especially when you increase the shackle length... did you install a shim? what size lift?

You didnt mention about having the wheel balanced or if they were new or used.... or if the wheel bearings had been replaced or repacked checked for play

I'll check it tonight. Def added shims, but can't remember what degree was. The lift size was 6 in the rear on leafs and shackles, and 6 in the front between the leaf springs, "cruiser solutions" shackle reversal, and shackles.

I've had the same wheels throughout the process, so I doubt that could be the culprit, but I just did a complete knuckle rebuild from the pumpkinto the wheel studs so all the replaceable seals, bearings, etc are all new.

Probably not it, but I had identical symptoms (2.5 skyjacker lift) and re-torquing the u-bolts fixed my wobble. Been 12 years with no repeats.

I have NOT checked them, but I will now!! :)

I installed a 2.5" OME lift and 33x10.5 ... I too had death wobble afterward ... ended up using 4 degree shims up front (I believe it gave me +1) and now drives FJ40 great (those who don't drive with 1.5" play in steering just can't relate).

FJ40_Caster_Shim (3)_SM.jpg

FJ40_Caster_Shim (3).JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom