Still dealing with a rotten egg/burning grease smell (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I replaced the battery a few moments ago. I didn't know they vented, wouldn't that be deadly to the occupants of the vehicle if it's H2S and lead?
If your alternator is overcharging due to a bad voltage regulator it could cause the battery to vent excessively and ultimately ruin the battery. As far as the fumes, I imagine they aren't good to breathe.

If your alternator is overcharging due to a bad voltage regulator it could cause the battery to vent excessively and ultimately ruin the battery. As far as the fumes, I imagine they aren't good to breathe.
Well I haven’t noticed any obvious charging issues since I replaced the battery, other than the alternator light coming on briefly one time. But that is a concerning prospect.

Well I haven’t noticed any obvious charging issues since I replaced the battery, other than the alternator light coming on briefly one time. But that is a concerning prospect.
Lead acid batteries have been used in cars for over 100 years. They release PbSO4 and H when charging. The more dangerous part of it is the Hydrogen being released, as it is explosive. The sulfur just smells bad and there will be far more hydrogen released and be in a dangerous state way before the sulfur smell becomes hazardous. The hydrogen can be ignited by the arc of the brushes in the alternator or generator or starter.

In other words, this is a non-issue. Otherwise, cars would have been exploding for many years.

Most likely fuel.

Should be as simple to diagnose as: a) Does it stink under the truck after a drive with evidence of gear-oil splatter and/or smoke, or b) Does the exhaust coming out the tailpipe stink when you sniff it. :meh:

W
Should be as simple to diagnose as: a) Does it stink under the truck after a drive with evidence of gear-oil splatter and/or smoke, or b) Does the exhaust coming out the tailpipe stink when you sniff it. :meh:
well i do get a rich exhaust smell on startup, sometimes it has a hint of sweetness to it, but after it warms up that’s seems to go away and the smell is normal. I could be imagining the sweet part of it since I’ve read about it in other threads. No antifreeze on the oil analysis.

Lead acid batteries have been used in cars for over 100 years. They release PbSO4 and H when charging. The more dangerous part of it is the Hydrogen being released, as it is explosive. The sulfur just smells bad and there will be far more hydrogen released and be in a dangerous state way before the sulfur smell becomes hazardous. The hydrogen can be ignited by the arc of the brushes in the alternator or generator or starter.

In other words, this is a non-issue. Otherwise, cars would have been exploding for many years.

Most likely fuel.
Yea I kind of doubted evryone was breathing Pb fumes all day in the car or we’d all have brain damage lol

Yea I kind of doubted evryone was breathing Pb fumes all day in the car or we’d all have brain damage lol
Well........

Some of us......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom