Stihl MS290 Vs. Ms291 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

yzftaco

Goofy-Goober
Threads
I'm looking at getting a Saw for around the house, and for taking camping. Cutting Firewood, and felling trees.

I'm pretty set on the 290, but is the 291 worth the extra $100?? I do like the weight to power of the 291

Is the newer engine worth it? I would like to stay $500 and below, 14lbs is the heaviest I want also..

Thanks!

Last edited:
On another note...

What's the best way to carry a Chainsaw in the rig, when wheeling?

1. In a big clumsy orange cover?

2. Would mounting a scabbard vertically, (for chits n giggles behind the spare tire)then sliding the chain guide-bar into it, and then maybe strapping the motor to the spare tire so it doesn't bend the guide.. Is this a stupid idea?

There is nothing wrong with the MS 290.

If you are the type of person who needs to own the latest in technology and the newest design, go with the piston controlled stratified scavenged MS291.

As far as how to transport the chainsaw. Carrying case is the best way. They are big and bulky but you can cram extra saw chain, files, mix oil in them along with the cahin saw.

Woody uses a carrying case that strongly resembles a wooden milk crate. I use a different style cradle but the same idea.
I do not recommend mounting the guide bar and letting the powerhead wiggle in the wind. I also do not recommend mounting the chainsaw pointing down. The oil tank and fuel tank vents are not designed to be transported at that angle.

Dan, thanks on the advice. Sounds Like you're not too fond of the newer motor design..
Is it a crappy design that they accepted since it's "better for the environment"?

Edit: I was shopping on #'s alone.. weight to power, and price differences and the 291 came up as the winner.. (for my price range)

I'm going with the tried and true 290 thanks to your advice

Cheers,

Last edited:
I love the new technology. The torque band is much wider and it has more torque in the cut. The Anti vibration system is superior so it is smoother cutting.

The only way I could upsell the $100.00 is if we were at the woodpile and you cut with one saw for a tank of fuel and then you cut with the other saw for a tank of fuel. You would then notice the difference and buy the MS 291.

Mark, not trying to hijack your thread here.

Dan, how about the differences between the 311 and the 391 ? Is it worth the little extra ? Have had my 029 for 20 years now but was wanting another one for around here.

Thanks

You will notice a bit of power difference between your MS 290 and the MS 311. You will notice more torque. The MS 311 will seem like a big brother to the MS 290.

The MS 391 will seem like the big sister to the MS 290. It simply has more power.

So I wound up getting the 291. I have a herniated disc so that extra pound of weight was worth it.

Man does this thing cut like butter! I love it!

So far I've taken down a tree in the front yard, and bucked it for firewood. Plus plenty of tree trimming around the rest of the yard. Had a smile on my face the whole time :)

Thanks for your input Dan.