Stiff Steering (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Our 2000 LX recently became hard to steer. It just takes more effort to make a turn and return the wheel to center. I have no idea where to start looking.

First check your power steering fluid level, fill it up if it's low then check for leaks. Turn the car on and have someone turn the steering wheel and see if you spot any fluid leaking from the reservoir and underneath.

Fluid is good. No leaks.

Our 2000 LX recently became hard to steer. It just takes more effort to make a turn and return the wheel to center. I have no idea where to start looking.

Similar symptoms in mine were diagnosed as a bad rack. Replaced, problem went away. Look at the rack itself while the truck is running in your driveway and someone is turning back and forth. If the rack itself is moving side to side, it might be your problem.

(And check the other stuff, too. The rack is an expensive job.)

Do you know if your power steering fluid pump is in good condition? Also check the belt that drives the pump.
Jack up the front so the wheels are off the ground and with the car OFF turn your steering wheel from side to side then turn the car ON and do the same if the resistance is the same it's probably a bad fluid pump.

Fluid is good. No leaks.
Was it bright red or not? If not, a good flush with fresh ATF would help, along with pulling the reservoir off the pump and cleaning the screen. Oftentimes the screen is clogged and preventing sufficient fluid from reaching steering rack, which can make steering harder. Typically if the rack is bad, it’s going to make some racket (grinding etc).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom