Sticky EGR valve... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Any thoughts on how best to clean out versus replacing with used/possibly new part?

Cheers, and keep on Cruising!

It has a internal rubber diaphram - a solvent based cleaner will get the carbon out but also shorten the life (or what's left in it) of the diaphram. I've been told that you can try a spray based carb cleaner for a short term fix but if you plan on keeping the truck for any length of time, you would be better off to just replace it with a new OEM part.

It can be a bit of a PITA to get in and out so why do the job twice?

Just my 2¢,
-dogboy- '87 FJ60

If it is your intention to keep the vehicle for a long time, I would install a new one, and be done with it for another 20+ years....

Good luck!

-Steve

OK, let me ask you this, what are the symptoms of a sticky EGR valve? My 62 has some start-up and running issues that I beleive are related to the EGR valve. I'm just curious to know what to look for.

primary symptom : runs well, but won't idle....( cause EGR should be closed at idle)....

Upon reaching idle, it idles to death over few seconds....a faulty soleniod valve is idle to death much quicker.

hmmmm ok, maybe my EGR valve isn't so bad... my primary symptom is very poor start up warm; it starts great cold (especially below 32) or hot, but when warm it doesn't like to idle. I have to give it gas and run it at a fast idle for a minute or two... I sort of figured that could be an EGR problem, but it doesn't quite sound like it. Any ideas?

I had EGR issues. Symptoms were hesitation at certain rpms. I never had any starting or idling issues, just bucking at cruising speeds or going through the gears. I just bypassed mine by pulling the vac hose that went into it and plugging it with a screw. Works great now. There's a guy with a 60 on this board named hullendersauce I believe, that told me about the fix... I was told that bypassing it was a non-issue for longevity and I wasn't doing any harm by bypassing it. Good luck.

I by-passed mine three years ago. No issues,

before it would surge under exceleration, particularly if I was running around in third in town.. bad surging. Wopuld surge at idle too.

By pass yours and see if it helps.

I've tried that, in fact that was how the EGR valve was set up when i bought the vehicle in the fall. However that doesn't seem to make much of a difference. I think i'll post a new thread and see what the 62 gurus have to say.

okay, then I bet it's not the egr valve but a vacume leak somewhere amongst the 1000 or so hoses under there..

Or it could be:

When I had a 62 I had some problems with the fuel sensor, it is electrical but parts of it can be cleaned. I don't remember what my mechanic did to "clean" it but it stopped surging and idleing weird when he got finished.

I can't get in touch with him till Monday but I'll call and see what he did..I'm pretty damn forgetfull...so, what was the question?

Just to throw fuel onto this fire, when ever i disconnect the EGR, the truck runs like absolute crap - i tried running it this morning disconnected and it barely got out of the driveway (NO POWER), so it's possible that egr is sticky, but kinda working?

High Desert - yeah some people have suggested both the fuel pressure regulator and the EFI main relay. I'm going to run some serious diagnositics on this vehicle when i get the chance. But unfortunately i'm lazy :) ...

jjhancock said:
I had EGR issues. Symptoms were hesitation at certain rpms. I never had any starting or idling issues, just bucking at cruising speeds or going through the gears. I just bypassed mine by pulling the vac hose that went into it and plugging it with a screw. Works great now. There's a guy with a 60 on this board named hullendersauce I believe, that told me about the fix... I was told that bypassing it was a non-issue for longevity and I wasn't doing any harm by bypassing it. Good luck.

I want to try this. Which hose is it and do you have a picture?

Have you taken carb cleaner to all of the vacuum lines yet to check for leaks?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom