Sticking Throttle Linkage - (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
9/29/14
Friends:

I just get done with a new clutch, oil pan seal, rear main seal, transmission seals, manage to get the beast back in and it runs great...!! (actually not too hard for us unseasoned crew - but ya need a hoist and tranny lift)

Too good however...
carb linkage / throttle pedal has been sticking. When I let off the gas I actually have to pull the pedal up with my foot to get the idle down. All the springs look good. Motor mounts look good...Not sure how this magically appears when it sits in the garage for 30 days.

Under the hood:
I can pull it back down by pulling the gas pedal up or push down on some of linkage components.

All the sprngs look in place; Jim C rebuilt this 1980 Carb FJ40 in spring of 2014 (this year)

Tried a bunch of carb cleaner - no luck.

I suppose these springs just get tired? But that seems odd.

Any creative thoughts are appreciated; just want to her back on the road before cold sets in here in MN.

thanks .

Eaj71​

I'm not super well versed in these things, but I did just bolt on a new Trollhole carb and have been dealing with linkage stuff lately. If you have the mechanical linkage you could lube up the areas where they turn. There is a spot on the firewall with a rubber grommet that the main rod inserts into, that could be greased a bit, and that rubber pieces could worn out and ready to be replaced and you have metal to meal contact etc. And there is a linkage connector piece with two holes in it that could be greased as well. Check to make sure those are turning freely and bot buggered up. Just suggestions.

If cleaning up the linkage doesn't do it, both springs are still available from Toyota.
I replaced mine. (you checked the one at the pedal, right?)

Yup. At the pedal looks good seems like there is good tension

I'll report back on the clean up effort

One idea is to pop out one of the ball and sockets in the linkage and see if the pedal still sticks.
If so, it's between the pedal and that connection, if not, it's probably further up.

I would only have thought of that by accident. Thanks. A great idea!!

It looks like lower throttle body is not springing back fully

The linkage from the pedal is disconnected so the glitch is at the carb

Can't seem to locate how that lower throttle body is "sprung". Perhaps internally ?

Soaked in berrymans.
No luck

See picture. Where the larger nut is

Any ideas
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1412033338.189680.jpg

...via IH8MUD app

The carb springs(mainly the accel pump plunger) are fairly wimpy compared to the throttle linkage. Don't think the carb ones could move the linkage by themselves. Think you still have some issue with the linkage itself(or a severe binding in the carb) preventing the throttle from working correctly. If you have disconnected the carb and it's links are not returning-maybe a bind in the accel pump spring(that's the only one I know of that returns the primary to it's closed position) The other spring shown is for the secondary--Maybe check the primary butterfly to make sure there are no gobs in there; also work the pri to make sure it's working the full stroke

I think it is the missing spring edw mentioned above

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1412042239.954243.jpg

Will check it again in the am.
Prolly laying somewhere on te garage floor.

...via IH8MUD app

FWIW, I tried a few different springs from the local hardware store. Adjusted length, tried others. Finally, I called my local toyota dealer and had them order the exact one (and one other). 2 days later and for less time and $ than all of my messing about, I had the right ones and they worked right.

Hah. Just got done with the Exact same thing.

Didn't quite close/ return it all the way Not strong enough spring or stretches out

Good idea.

You wouldn't happen to have a part# for that spring?

Subscribed, same problem. After letting off the gas it goes back to 900 or so. I pull up on the gas pedal drops to 800 where the 79 is supposed to be set.

Is your spring there?

See picture above.

Last edited:
Contacted my local toyota dealer
"No longer available"

I just ordered two of these springs from. Toyotapartsbarn.com

Let's see if it is a quality outfit
For less than 3$ each it's was worth a shot

They just sent an email

....parts no longer available...

Bummer

Users who are viewing this thread