Builds Steve's HDJ81 build (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm kinda torn- I have located a very low mileage 91 jap diesel w TJM and winch and 4" lift, but I have a strong 94 I have had for a decade that needs suspension and upgrades. My 94 motor has 234000 miles on it so while still strong, wonder how long until it needs motor work? If I add up assesories - heavy 4" lift, ARB, winch and tackle, paint job, roof rack ... it adds up . On the fence if I should buy the HDJ81 when it's HP and Torque isn't that dif from my 94 gasser - I do pull my utility trailer some so the bigger brakes on 80 is good- seems to be a coin toss. Keep my rig and start work on it or sell it and get a low mileage HDJ

Thoughts?

And now you are sellIng it... how often are you finding 80s w diesel to import?

Right now I have 6 other HDJ81's in stock or on the way. All with lower KM's than mine. I need to get my website updated, I only have a few of them listed right now.

My truck is inventory, covered by insurance and driving on a dealer plate. The price is set at the point where I wouldn't mind building another one. I am in love with this truck. :)

Last edited:
I'm kinda torn- I have located a very low mileage 91 jap diesel w TJM and winch and 4" lift, but I have a strong 94 I have had for a decade that needs suspension and upgrades. My 94 motor has 234000 miles on it so while still strong, wonder how long until it needs motor work? If I add up assesories - heavy 4" lift, ARB, winch and tackle, paint job, roof rack ... it adds up . On the fence if I should buy the HDJ81 when it's HP and Torque isn't that dif from my 94 gasser - I do pull my utility trailer some so the bigger brakes on 80 is good- seems to be a coin toss. Keep my rig and start work on it or sell it and get a low mileage HDJ

Thoughts?

The HDJ81 has a better torque curve and economy than the FZJ80. 234,000 isn't a lot, but it's definitely more than a low mileage HDJ81 from Japan. Upgrading to the larger brakes on the HDJ81 is a must in my opinion. If you like your truck, you might be better off to invest in it. I am partial to the HDJ81, I love mine, but I've spent a lot of time in built FZJ80's and they're awesome too. Tough decision!

Buyer beware out there. There are several HDJ81's floating around for sale with rolled back odometers, radiation, and wrecked/repair history right now.

FZJ80 have better HW manners than HDJ80 ( or 81 ) engine wise .. despite how much I love and had mod my 1HD-T would never put over any healthy 1FZ even less if it's SCharged ..

For towing ... 1HD-T isn't the perfect power plant neither .. it can do it .. but it's not best on it .. neither 1FZ is ..

FZJ80 have better HW manners than HDJ80 ( or 81 ) engine wise .. despite how much I love and had mod my 1HD-T would never put over any healthy 1FZ even less if it's SCharged ..

Since everyone has their own perspective, I'll add mine: I recently moved from a 1996 FZJ80 to a 1994 JDM HDJ81. The latter wins my heart, no contest. The gasser had more juice when I was driving the forestry roads thinking I was Colin McRae, but it used so much fuel doing that, it was insane. The diesel is more drivable in technical terrain, though the transmission is not making me happy at the moment.

Conservative driving on country roads and long distance forestry tracks, I get 13l/100 KM (18 Mpg) in the diesel. Same conditions would get me 21l/100 KM (11 mpg) in the gasser. Both of these trucks were configured identically and weighed around 6700 lbs.

A.

Last edited:
This build thread still fascinates me, I went through it three times on separate occasions. Love the truck and the attention to detail on replacing key components.

T

After the front bumper was on, it was time for the rear bumper. I chose the ARB rear bar setup with dual tire carrier swingouts. In sticking with the long-travel/Aussie theme, I felt dual spares was a necessity. As usual with stuff from ARB, install was pretty easy and within a few hours it was time to mount the Maxtrax and Hi-Lift. Maxtrax are a necessity, especially with a heavy rig like this one.

1990-2179-ih8mud-36.jpg

Rear bumper finished, tires mounted, Maxtrax and Hi-Lift mounted.

@SteveJackson Do you happen to have the part numbers for that right side swingout with the high lift and license plate holder? That look like a great addition to my rig!

@SteveJackson Do you happen to have the part numbers for that right side swingout with the high lift and license plate holder? That look like a great addition to my rig!

Hmm, not at hand, but call @cruiseroutfit and they can hook you up. I seem to recall the LP bracket and the hi-lift mount are in one kit, the standard LP bracket comes with the swing-out.

Here is what I believe is Steve's ARB P#s for the bumper configuration he has:

Bumper itself:
Rear Bumper- 5611210
LHS tire carrier- 5711231
RHS tire carrier- 5711232

Hilift mount/ license plate holder:
HILIFT Mount for Wheel Carrier- 5700060
An optional barri nut and socket is available to secure the jack to the carrier. Part number, 6151334 (not clear if Steve has this, but I think its a security option)

This build thread still fascinates me, I went through it three times on separate occasions. Love the truck and the attention to detail on replacing key components.

Thanks! I still love this truck. It's coming in for dry-dock at the end of the summer for some maintenance and a few changes. Stay tuned!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom