1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stero Noise

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by landtoy80, Feb 8, 2004.

1. landtoy80

landtoy80

My Sony CD stero ( I came with the fj60 in 2000) is in the 80 now but I can sear engine noise once in a while on weaker channels. It is real bad on AM. My 'GPS radar detector' also makes noise on the AM band.
    Could it be a bad ground? Or is it that it is old and there is no fix?

2. MoJ

MoJ Moderator

Crutchfield and most stereo shops sell a fairly inexpensive filter (a capacitor IIRC) designed to get rid of interference that's most commonly caused by the alternator. I think maybe even Wal-Mart (the evil empire) carries them now. Alternator noise heard through the stereo tends to change pitch when you accelerate.

3. CDN_Cruiser

CDN_Cruiser

Yep - you should be able to buy some sort of filter to fix the problem. If the regualr steroe stores can't help you - try a good radio/CB shop.

Cheers, Hugh

4. xl715

xl715

If the stereo is installed corectly, with a good ground, there shouldn't be any radio interference. If you are running an amp, make sure the ground wire is as short as possible, other wise you will have a ground loop noise. The deck may also be suspect, sony hasn't made very good car stereo components for quite a while now. I have owned about 3 or 4 sony decks, all junk, they fell apart and would start changing volume and channels on thier own. I accuired these decks when buying vehicles that had them in them, othwise I would have stoped at the first one!! But in any case I would check your grounds, and make sure you are running factory pulg wires, non resistor wires emit alot of radio interference that is picked up buy the radio.

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">