Stereo Shuts Off w/ Cig Lighter (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,

I just finished installing two 6.5" door speakers and two 6x9's in the rear powered by a 1600W amp and a new single din Pioneer headunit. Prior to this, the PO had installed an aftermarket headunit and it had a wire going to the taillight fuse (constant 12V) but I couldn't tell where its switching 12V went. Whenever I would try to use the cigarette outlet, the radio would die. After leaving the car sitting off for a while the radio would begin to work again. I figured the PO had wired his switching 12V to the cig lighter, but I did not see any wires ran to it and it looked untampered. One item to note is that the PO had put a 20A fuse inside the cig fuse, where the panel calls for a 15A. Not sure if this could affect my problem.

When I installed my new headunit I ran a fused wire straight to the battery for my constant 12V. I found a spare plug behind the rocker switch section under the AC and one of its leads had a switching 12V. Since this plug wasn't being used, I pulled the switching 12V and ran in to the headunit and amp.

I drove around for an hour blasting tunes and all was well. When I got back home I tried the cigarette lighter, and to my disappointment, the radio died. I restarted the 60 and now the radio turns on, plays for about 30-45sec, then shuts off for 30-45sec and turns back on in a repeating cycle. It hasn't ran constant like it originally did. Very frustrating.

I understand that the original radio and cigarette lighter shared grounds and a fuse, but I figured wiring it the way I had would solve my cig lighter/radio issues. Does anyone have any suggestions??

Thanks,
M

I have a similar issue - I think I shorted out my constant 12v when installing an after market radio tonight. Now my clock doesn’t work and radio doesn’t keep me sort etc. I wired it to the cig temporarily so radio works but need to figure out constant 12 volt issue. Did you figure yours out?

I have a similar issue - I think I shorted out my constant 12v when installing an after market radio tonight. Now my clock doesn’t work and radio doesn’t keep me sort etc. I wired it to the cig temporarily so radio works but need to figure out constant 12 volt issue. Did you figure yours out?
Unfortunately I did not figure this out. My "solution" has been to not use the cig lighter. The head unit will stay on as long as I don't use the cig lighter. It's odd because I see nothing connected to the cig plug.

It sounds like your issue is concerned with a constant 12V. I ran a wire w/ inline fuse straight from the battery to the back of the head unit for my constant 12V. This has worked fine for me.

Sorry I couldn't be more help, good luck!

Sorry your cig lighter glitch didn’t get resolved. Thanks for the tip on running the 12v constant wire from the battery. Is there another fuse box under the hood - or just the one on the drivers side dash?

I believe just the one under the driver's side, but I can't speak for the FJ62. The inline fuse I used look similar to this:

1618028545200.png

This allowed me to completely bypass the fuse box.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom