Stereo Recommendation-FZJ (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm seeking a recommendation for a touchscreen stereo with a back-up camera for my 93 "single din" (stereo with an empty pocket below) LC. I've looked at the previous posts (and there are many, but not recent) and I looked at Crutchfield and there are so many options (some don't look like they would fit a singe din even though I selected it). I currently have an Alpine single din but I would like a back-up camera as well.
I would just like to know what stereo someone who has a truck like mine is using?
Thank you in advance.-Dan

Very happy with my Sony/android auto. My model is no longer available but I'd go with whatever has the features you like.

Are you looking for something that does not have a retractable screen? It will be difficult to find a single din with small fixed screen that has a backup camera. There are stereos that have screens that retract in to a single din foot print so you can have that storage under the stereo. You likely won't have an optical drive option for any with a retractable screen. and you will find the screen cover our clock for a single din width above the stereo. Many that you saw on crutchfield that were single din and had screens 8" or greater were floating/detachable type screens. They cover up a lot of your dash so you can get that tesla style look i guess. I think you might be wanting something in design like the:

Pioneer AVH-3500NEX​

Are you looking for something that does not have a retractable screen? It will be difficult to find a single din with small fixed screen that has a backup camera. There are stereos that have screens that retract in to a single din foot print so you can have that storage under the stereo. You likely won't have an optical drive option for any with a retractable screen. and you will find the screen cover our clock for a single din width above the stereo. Many that you saw on crutchfield that were single din and had screens 8" or greater were floating/detachable type screens. They cover up a lot of your dash so you can get that tesla style look i guess. I think you might be wanting something in design like the:

Pioneer AVH-3500NEX​

You're exactly right. most of the screens are 9" and larger and they cover areas that are useful.. There are some, I noticed, where the stereo body fits into the single din, and the monitor is free floating meaning it adjusts up and down, but like you mentioned, they are covering a lot of the dash. Thank you for the recommendation on the Pioneer. -Dan

You're exactly right. most of the screens are 9" and larger and they cover areas that are useful.. There are some, I noticed, where the stereo body fits into the single din, and the monitor is free floating meaning it adjusts up and down, but like you mentioned, they are covering a lot of the dash. Thank you for the recommendation on the Pioneer. -Dan

I went with a double DIN DVD receiver and have been very happy. I have a Pioneer in one and a JVC in the other. Both work great and I don't miss the pocket under the single DIN.

^^any particular reason you're sticking with single din? Need 'switch space'?
The single din units with retractable screen are most space saving. But it adds mechanics not necessary as compared to 2 din fixed touch screens.
That said, a 2 din touch screen in an 80 seems to be always in the sun or refelcting it right into both my retinas.

I recently switched from a Kenwood non-touch screen to a JVC touch screen with Apple Play, backup camera, etc. For me I couldn't read the screen on the Kenwood with bright sunlight given the angle/location. No such problem with the JVC. I don't think there was anything wrong with the Kenwood, just where it was. The other problem I noticed with Crutchfield was that the bulk of the double-din head units were out of stock unless you went with the really expensive ones. I had this one since early this year before stuff started becoming unobtainium.

As asked, any reason in particular why you want to stick with a single DIN unit?

Last edited:
I recently switched from a Kenwood non-touch screen to a JVC touch screen with Apple Play, backup camera, etc. For me I couldn't read the screen on the Kenwood with bright sunlight given the angle/location. No such problem with the JVC. I don't think there was anything wrong with the Kenwood, just where it was. The other problem I noticed with Crutchfield was that the bulk of the double-din head units were out of stock unless you went with the really expensive ones. I had this one since early this year before stuff started becoming unobtainium.

As asked, any reason in particular why you want to stick with a single DIN unit?
There is no reason. I thought that I needed to stick with a single din. I wanted to know if I could use a double din— I would need to remove the second pocket to make room for the stereo correct?

There is no reason. I thought that I needed to stick with a single din. I wanted to know if I could use a double din— I would need to remove the second pocket to make room for the stereo correct?
Yes.

If I were to do it I would use a

Alpine iLX-W650​

with the piggy backed amp.

The back of many double dins is single and have room for things like little amps and other stuff. I would agree that glare can be an issue on some. That being said it would be nice to tilt and adjust the screen if that is an option.

Yes the pocket would need to be eliminated for a double din unit. That is just a very trivial task.

If money is no object I would go with the Kenwood excelon reference DNR1007XR. The guts fit in the double din while the 10” screen projects out where it is easier to see and access. It has all the bells and whistles including Apple play/android auto. It has its own internal gps nav so you can be out of cell coverage off roading and still have spot on location. You can also upload more detailed maps while off road. Along with this headunit I would add a gen 1 tundra steering wheel to utilize the steering controls.

If you are on a budget like me I would go with an entry level name brand double din unit with the basic features you like. I would recommend some traditional button/knob configuration in addition to touch screen feature especially the volume control. It’s a pain to quickly change that with touchscreen only where our stereo is mounted.

Last edited:
If money is no object I would go with the Kenwood excelon reference DNR1007XR. The guts fit in the double din while the 10” screen projects out where it is easier to see snd access. It has all the bells and whistles incl
Thanks, I saw that and I wish money wasn't an object, otherwise I would be sporting a new 200. But that Kenwood is 10" and I need something in the 71/2" range.

Are all 7" head units able to fit? Or do some fit better than others?
Go by din count. Screen size will be what it will be, but most 2-din units will fit.
Some...with deep back ends...will not fit and leave enough room for the wiring to not be jammed up against an internal brace or something.

Atoto double din has been great for me

Dash cam, back up cam, gps..
Can you share a model number and a couple of pics, Outsane? I'd like to piggyback off your efforts.

you should also check out Halo9, it's an adjustable 9" touchscreen that only takes up a Single DIN. The screen attaches to the single DIN reciever, so you technically still have an open DIN spot either beneath the screen or behind the screen, which would be slick! Once i catch up on my never-ending maintenance and upgrade list I want to go this route, but cant justify it, yet, since I have an older pioneer touchscreen in there now.

I have a Sony axv-ax100 in my 93 and a axe-ax1000 in my subaru. The 100 is discontinue, but the 1000 is the successor and it’s the cheapest Apple car play compatible stereo with a volume knob. It’s not wining any awards, but I wanted CarPlay for phone and text, a volume knob, and a touch screen. It’s been awesome. zero regrets. I watched Amazon for the warehouse deals and picked one up for a super deal. The knob was the selling point for me. I hate buttons for volume control.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom