Stereo questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Alright, well very soon I'm getting a stereo for my 62, wanted to know how hard the installs are because I think I've seen that the modern stereos are smaller than the the OEM ones. Also I've gotten the idea, of taking my front door speakers out, putting the rear ones in the doors, and buying some 6x9's for the back. All hooked up to my 600w RF amp. Thoughts? Pics of similar systems?
:cheers:

-Carl

Carl - I put a radio out of a Scion into my 62. Very easy to do just minor trimming and it is pretty much plug and play. Do a search and lots of other posts will come up with useful information. Here is one.
https://forum.ih8mud.com/60-series-wagons/89078-those-scion-cd-players.html

I replaced the stock rear speakers with some upgraded 5 1/2" (I think) speakers. I think they sound better than 6X9's. I have some JL Audio speakers up front with seperate tweets. I am also running an Alpine amp to help power everything. Hope that helps.

I went fairly cheap but it sounds good and looks good IMO. I anticipate it will sound very good once I get the sound deadener installed... I'm in the opinion that regardless of what system you install it will sound mediocre until the wagon panels are insulated.

Here are some pics of the deck, Sony Explode... very easy install and I bought the adapter from Best Buy. I like its simplicity but it has all that I care for, a "line in".
Xplode.jpg

The backlighing on the Xplode matches the green dash bulbs so it is not too distracting or out of place.
InstCluster.jpg

I installed 6x9 Infinity in the rear and I believe 5s in the front. 6x9s are a bit heavy for the OEM panels and clips. I threaded some eye bolts through the panels into the OEM supports. The eye bolts secure the panel/speaker and serve as additional tie-downs for me.
6x9rear.jpg

Looking forward to seeing your final setup! Good luck...:beer:

My set up:

Similar taste/budget as BG_TX...

P1010003-1.jpg

P1010097.jpg

and the rounds, behind the stock speaker covers in the doors. Everything Sony Xplod. Sounds quite good for the money.

Good taste Tofu! :grinpimp:

What is that in the blank above the ashtray?

Thanks fellas :cheers:

-Carl

I went fairly cheap but it sounds good and looks good IMO. I anticipate it will sound very good once I get the sound deadener installed... I'm in the opinion that regardless of what system you install it will sound mediocre until the wagon panels are insulated.

Here are some pics of the deck, Sony Explode... very easy install and I bought the adapter from Best Buy. I like its simplicity but it has all that I care for, a "line in".
Xplode.jpg

The backlighing on the Xplode matches the green dash bulbs so it is not too distracting or out of place.
InstCluster.jpg

I installed 6x9 Infinity in the rear and I believe 5s in the front. 6x9s are a bit heavy for the OEM panels and clips. I threaded some eye bolts through the panels into the OEM supports. The eye bolts secure the panel/speaker and serve as additional tie-downs for me.
6x9rear.jpg

Looking forward to seeing your final setup! Good luck...:beer:

My current rears are fives but I am going to move them to the front, you say yours are five as well, how difficult was it to get them in the doors being bigger than stock? Also I just got my Alpine stereo and Infinity 3-way 6x9's. How did you guys get the stock stereo out...can't figure it out by looking at it:doh:.
Hopefully you fellas respond before 7 or so when my buddy gets here. (its 430..:rolleyes:)
P.S. how did you get the 6x9's in? Fit right in, cutting?
:beer::beer:
-Carl

By the way I looked at my 89 and 88 62's (89 is the one I'm putting this stuff in) and the stereos are different...:doh: heres the 89's, not a clue in the world how to get this thing out and the new one in. :mad:

-Carl

If you need to do any trimming on the door panels to make the speakers fit it's not a big deal, it is fiberboard like material and easily cut. I did not need to do any cutting, not sure if the PO had already cut them or not but if so he/she did a good job because it is clean cut (both fiberboard and vinyl).

The 5s in the front don't fit perfectly, the holes from the factory mount in the door cover vinyl is visible but not noticeable.

To remove/install the stereo you need to remove the dash... not hard, just remove the screws and slide it out a bit so you can get behind it and work.

The screws that are justt above the stocker? And one or two by the steering wheel? I think 3-5 in total...my dad and I took those out and tried getting the cluster out....then put the screws back because we didnt think that was it. :doh:. Explain what you mean getting behind it? Tehcnique for this?

-Carl

Mine came with an aftermarket stereo, but I believe the bracket attachment is the same as OEM.

Remove the 10 or so screws all around the top dash surround plastic (top being above the heater controls over to the left of the gauges). Be CAREFUL.. after the screws are out, you need to do two things- wiggle the top of the surround outward and then pull up slightly. There are two tabs that stick down around above the heater controls and below the stereo. They like to break. Secondly reach in and disconnect the speedo clip if you need to. You can also disconnect the gauges via 1 or two large connectors and the entire top dash should be out.

Dash screws- 1 near dash light dimmer knob (visible), 1 left of that aiming down, 2 total above large gauge clusters, 1 (visible) by transfer switch, 2 or 3 across top of heater control area, 2 above stereo...

That gives you access to four screws that hold the stereo mount bracket in.

Update

Well got the speakers in last night...finished at midnight....:doh: started at 1045 though, but regardless, the fronts look like complete hell, 6x9's look great though, they sound (ed) amazing while it lasted, for some odd reason just the right side speakers front and rear dont work now...left are fine, going to take my truck over to best buy and have geek squad install the stereo and fix the speakers, and maybe have them wire up my amp as well...

-Carl

Got my stereo in finally, here it is:

Also my amp was apparently only a 2 way so I cant use it. :mad:

-Carl

Nice! I was debating between that Alpine media player line and the JVC similar units. I think the Alpine would have better sound quality from the DACs they use, but I wanted the option of playing CD/DVDs and integrated bluetooth (vs buying a separate unit)... so I went the JVC to feed my feature fetish. Thought the Alpines had great displays as well.

Enjoy your tunes!

Would include pics, but umm everything is spread across the kitchen table waiting on door panels, sound deadener and other constructiony things to happen first.

Got my stereo in finally, here it is:

Also my amp was apparently only a 2 way so I cant use it. :mad:

-Carl

Thats the same head unit I have in my 60, combined with infiniti kappas in the front and infiniti 6x9s in the back (same as BT_TX). IT is a great sounding system without deadener or amps, and relatively cheap too! Good luck!

Looks good... any shots of the doors, it can't be that bad?

Uh...well, wel'll see what people say how they look :rolleyes:.

:censor:

-Carl

hmm... I've seen better. Have you tried to re-use the stock square grill to make it look stock? Maybe open up the hole a bit and line it up with the new speaker first?

rob

And i can't really comment cause my speakers are in the box waiting to be installed... lol

hmm... I've seen better. Have you tried to re-use the stock square grill to make it look stock? Maybe open up the hole a bit and line it up with the new speaker first?

rob

And i can't really comment cause my speakers are in the box waiting to be installed... lol

The square doesnt give enough room, and that thing has long been gone, lost/thrown away, beats me. When it al boils down, it doesnt really matter what it looks like as long as it sounds good:meh: (which it does :grinpimp:)

-Carl

-Carl

Definitely not the easiest on the eyes... but you should be able to find some grills/covers? How far are the tweeters sticking out?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom