Stereo Install in my 40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I wanted to add a stereo, speakers, and a subwoofer to the rig with the idea that as little wire would be showing, and that nothing would look awfully out of place. With this in mind I ended up really utilizing my Tuffy center console to tuck the (2) amps, the head unit, and the cooling fan. The wiring, for power both switched and constant, antenna, speakers and ground are all run below the body. I really tried to utilize the frame as a protected place to route the wires. In addition I wrapped the Power and Grounding cables in techflex which should provide additional UV protection.

As for modifying the vehicle in any permanent way, I really wanted to minimize the holes I needed to create. I ended up creating 3 holes in the body, and widening 2 existing ones a bit on the roll bar. The biggest one, roughly 1/2 is just below the Tuffy center console. I routed 12V switched from the fuse panel, and 12V constant from the battery through this hole then sealed it with a dab of silicone. The other 2, roughly 1/4" are below each end of the roll bar. I routed speaker wires from the console, to an existing hole near the gas tank, then through the frame and eventually to the wheel well and through the new hole into the hollow portion of the roll bar.

Not 100% Done yet, Ill update with more pics upon completion.

Here are the parts and pieces I used:

Head Unit (nice thing about this is you can control the unit from a phone app) Kenwood KDC-BT768HD CD Receiver with Bluetooth and HD Radio

4 Channel Amp (utilizing 2 channels only) Kenwood 1177524 Compact Automotive/Marine Amplifier Class D Kac-M1824BT, 180W RMS, 400W PMPO, 4 Channel

Mono (Sub Amp) Kenwood KAC-M3001 600W Class D Monoblock Compact Digital Car/ATV/Marine Certified Amplifier

Subwoofer (I custom Built the enclosure to fit below the drivers seat, I didnt want to wrap this in carpet like a traditional Sub Box, I ended up using, and really liking Flex Seal for this application, it turned out great) JL Audio 8W1v3-4 W1v3 8-inch Subwoofer Driver

Cooling Fan W/LEDs 120mm Case Fan with Blue LED 2-Pack Computer Case Fan with Long Life Sleeve Bearing Ultra Quiet Silent Cooling Fan Standard 120 mm LED Case Fan with B

USB Port Access on the front of the Tuffy Box (Requires 1-1/8" Hole)
2 Ports Dual USB 3.0 Male to USB 3.0 Female AUX Flush Mount Car Mount Extension Cable for Car Truck Boat Motorcycle Dashboard Panel -(3 Feet)

What did you do with the space for the orig radio? Left open and empty or some kind of delete?

I’ve been contemplating what to do for my radio set up. I’ve got a Tuffy center console with a radio slot too, but not really wanting to put the tuner in there. It’s either a RetroSound or I’m even considering cutting the dash to fit a modern radio.

I’d use one pair of speakers on the rollbar like the way you’ve got it.

Theres a radio blank cover over the original spot. I didnt want to cut up the dash.

Nice setup! That tuffy box has so much potential for switch mounts, build-outs, etc.

I've given up on locally stored media, and never intend to tune into an over-air/satellite source. Anyone have experience with the bluetooth receivers that get mounted out of sight? Seems like that and an amp might be all I need...

Nice setup! That tuffy box has so much potential for switch mounts, build-outs, etc.

I've given up on locally stored media, and never intend to tune into an over-air/satellite source. Anyone have experience with the bluetooth receivers that get mounted out of sight? Seems like that and an amp might be all I need...

The Amp I bought is exactly what your looking for. Im not using this feature, but it can be setup without the need for a head unit.

The Amp I bought is exactly what your looking for. Im not using this feature, but it can be setup without the need for a head unit.

Wow- you're not kidding. It'd been a while since I shopped, but this beats the Kicker that I'd previously looked at. Thanks for the reference!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom