Stereo Install Harness Help (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ok guys, just to close this thread and possibly help somebody else out in the future, here's what worked for me:
  • Took a 9v battery and ran the posts against the mystery blue speaker wires that were connected to the previous aftermarket harness. Heard some statics so that confirmed these wires were going to the front door speakers. This is what I should have done from the get-go
  • Spliced those janky wires (t-taps, yeah I know) to the Metra harness (I didn't want to touch the car's original harness)
  • Factory amp near the glove box was still connected so I disconnected that, although I noticed that door speakers (the ones I care the most about right now) still worked when I rigged up the new harness to those existing extra speaker wires
  • I disconnected the front knee-level tweeters for now to test how the new head unit drives the door speakers
  • Still need to dial in the right speaker configs and whether I want an additional amp and sub
For now, I'm going to keep those janky extra speaker wires spliced to the Metra harness because I'm tired of having my LC just sitting in the garage while there's still snow on the mountains. But once I handle some other squawks, I'll tackle what's going on with the crazy wiring to the door speakers.

Shout out to the all the people who've posted install pics, shared EWDs, and threw ideas out in this thread and others.

Im having the same problem. 1996 TLC with all original 9 speaker system. New Sony head unit, Used the Metra harness, everything working fine except the front door speakers. Unplugged the amp. Wiring diagram shows the front door speakers go to the amp but also to the deck, so I think they should be working. All speakers working except front door speakers??

Im having the same problem. 1996 TLC with all original 9 speaker system. New Sony head unit, Used the Metra harness, everything working fine except the front door speakers. Unplugged the amp. Wiring diagram shows the front door speakers go to the amp but also to the deck, so I think they should be working. All speakers working except front door speakers??
I never found where the original door speaker wires were in mine. PO clearly just added additional wires to the head to power the door speakers. My rig was down for 2+ weeks so once I got those speakers working, I gave up and buttoned everything back. Once I figure out the amp situation, I’m going to investigate again.

Did you ever get your front door speakers working? I am having the exact same issue with my head unit install. All wiring is stock and I installed a Boss Apple CarPlay unit with the Metro 70-1761 harness that I had crutchfield wire up for me. With the factory amp removed, I get sound out of the rear door speakers and front knee speakers, but no sound from the front door speakers. Kind of at a loss as to what to check next.

Did you ever get your front door speakers working? I am having the exact same issue with my head unit install. All wiring is stock and I installed a Boss Apple CarPlay unit with the Metro 70-1761 harness that I had crutchfield wire up for me. With the factory amp removed, I get sound out of the rear door speakers and front knee speakers, but no sound from the front door speakers. Kind of at a loss as to what to check next.
Two sources I have found: 1 - front speakers are original and blown. 2 - one of the speakers is shorting to ground in the door panel (if not original speakers).

If you're installing a factory stereo, Toyota made it idiot -proof (they call it poke-yoke). The harness connectors will only fit the stereo connectors they are intended for; if you're installing an aftermarket stereo, Metra makes a Toyota LandCruiser specific harness connector. It plugs into the factory harness and has unterminaled pigtails for the respective load leads. Your new stereo will have the wiring diagram to match the Metra pigtail.

IIRC, Metra used the standard wire colors for their pigtail, so you can almost connect it without thinking. or butchering the harness.

Crutchfield sells the Metra connector.
Metra connector doesn't have a dimmer

I'm having similar issue. Installed new Sony head Unit and all speakers became distorted and then blew a fuse. I will try to disconnect factory amp , replace fuse and cross fingers. But I'm pretty sure I'll be re-wiring and replacing old mismatched speakers too....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom