stereo install - alternator upgrade ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
i did a search on google and searched here but didn't find an answer that i needed, well i saw on the tech link something about a cs130 GM alt that someone was talking about but wasn't to specific... what all are you running? i know some do upgrades because of modern stereo equipment and off road lights, i don't think i can shell out the big bucks for the mean green but i need something 100 amp+. this may sound unreasonable but eh... anybody know of any info on upraded alt's and i did read posers comment on taking a yota alt housing and putting the guts of a different alt into it... any other suggestions ?

I'm about to install a pioneer radio/cd player in my 40 with 2 pioneer speakers and a 1200 watt rockford RMS amp to a kicker 12" sub....

plus if i trash the GM i can just take it back and get a new one for nothing, the only thing i have been worried about is what SOR said about HO alt's can be dangerous to a stock wiring harness or something..... well any info is apreciated, thanks all

--- i think its funny when i google a problem i can't find on mud, then i see 12 sites taking me right back to mud....

so you think running that set up wouldn't drain the batt. if i had a better/bigger battery, i can't say anything yet because i didn't install it yet...

bandy rooster said:
the only thing i have been worried about is what SOR said about HO alt's can be dangerous to a stock wiring harness or something..... well any info is apreciated, thanks all
One problem is that your truck uses an ammeter, so the entire charge current from the alternator runs into the cab and back out. The gauge and the wire carrying this current are sized to safely handle the output from the stock alternator - what, about 30 amps?

If you supersize your alternator you may peg your ammeter at times and possibly ruin it, and if you run the battery dead then try to recharge it by driving, you may cause a fire. I came close and have it in mind to do some rewiring soon. I may install a shunt to carry half of the current, or I may disable the ammeter and install a voltmeter in its place. Not sure yet.

What do the razoo stereo shops advise? They install hundreds of amplifiers. Good luck.

All you need is a big Capasitor between the Amp and the sub... Why So big of an amp for one sub.. Also why put a big sub in an open top Truck?? Subs Use the Space of the car to amplify its effect..

isotel said:
why put a big sub in an open top Truck??
Actually, why put any sub in any truck? :flipoff2:
BOOM, ,KITCH, ,BOOM, BOOM, KITCH-A-PUTCH, ,BOOM, , KITCH, . . . Nothing like killing the so-called music with all that . . . Oh, wait. I'm showing my age. Nevermind.

BR;

If ur running, say 100 watt stereo, like use tobe in my FJ40, u will not need a honker alternator. U can run it off a good battery thru an appropriate fuse set up and piss all the people off around u when u crank it up.

A new high amp alternator will require some mods to the orig wiring that are unnecessary. Some one will steal your stereo, so use the KISS principle...

I run a 4x25watt amp with 4 cheesy coaxial 5 1/4 speakers and a supposedly 200 watt infinity basslink with the stock alternator and a regular interstate battery. No problems,no capacitors but I don't drive around cranking the tunes like a 16 year old either. That basslink is actually very impressive in an open rig. If I want I can hear the stereo pretty clearly with the top down at 70.

I just run a basic chevy 100amp 1-wire alt. I had the local shop, DC Engineering build me a alt with the double feet to fit the stock location on my '78. It works great, except when I kick it off idle you can tell when it kicks in, the lights get alot brighter.

later
Ryan

well the reason i'd run 1200 watts is because its a 1200 watt sub ehhh???
so i like loud music, i'm not here to piss anyone off... i just happen to like electronics as well as offroading, no harm in putting the two together, and you can't knock me cause i DD a 40 with 36's so i'm just trying to personalize it more....for my own needs...

thanks for the idea, i was considering a capaciter and i think i'll shoot for a decent battery soon hopefully an optima

oh and it is an open top currently but in a short while it will be a hard top so i get what your trying to say....

bandy rooster said:
i'm not here to piss anyone off...
Sure didn't mean to offend. Just jerking isotel's chain, and yours maybe a little.
;)
Here's a website with some good basic technical info. Takes some of the mystery out of it for me anyway.
Basic Car Audio Electronics
(ps - There's an interesting paragraph in there somewhere about using capacitors.)
Woody, where the hell's the Peace Sign thingy?

I too just installed a 100 amp GM 1 wire alternator but have 350 so it bolted right on. As suggested by performance shop all the power/+ wires that went to alternator hot terminal now go directly to battery and have one hefty wire running from alternator hot terminal to battery. Pretty simple.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom