Stereo for the School Bus (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

orangefarmer

SILVER Star
Threads
I'm getting ready to purchase new speakers for the School Bus. It's been a long time since I have messed with this kind of stereo stuff. I have decided to go with the Kicker KS line of speakers. 6.5" component in the front door with Solve Function's a-pillar tweeter mount (I already have them), 4" in the back doors, and 3.5" in the dash and the rear roof. I'm doing this on the attempts to keep the factory grills. I believe that the 6'5" woofer is shallow enough to clear the window rail with a top mount depth of 1 13/16. Has anyone specifically put Kicker speakers in?

I am planning on running the 6'5"s and the 4"s off of an amp. Thinking one with around 100 watts rms per channel. The 6'5's can handle 125, and the 4's 75. I figured that I can just turn down the channels with the 4's. and still have most of the power for the 6.5's. I plan on running the 3.5's off of the head unit. they might be a little under powered (spec's at 29w rms). It might be too little for a 50w speaker, but this way I figure that I can keep each corner connected (one powered, one not) to be able to adjust the audio. Is this a good plan? Should I get a bigger amp to make the 6.5's happier, and should I be getting another amp (like a mini amp to replace the stock amp) for the 3.5's? this would bring the total to 3 amps.

I also have the LAST rear speaker mount from WholeHog. I actually bought the guy's personal one. It has a pioneer, but I am planning on replacing it with a Kicker comp (because I like things to match.

I already have the head unit. An Android model made by Atoto. Mostly because it has dual bluetooth so that I can have my phone and my TOYOBD1 reader hooked up.

I am having a shop run all new wire and sound deaden as part of the install.

I think that this should be a good set up. I would like thoughts. Maybe I missed something.

Thank

**Edit** 4" in the dash, not 3.5". And wondering about speaker baffles on most of the speakers. In the doors they will held with weather, I'm wondering if the headliner and dash could benefit from having a sort of enclosure,

Last edited:
Sounds a bit complicated. But everyone has there way of looking at things. Last year I did the upgrade. Dash speakers had been previously disconnected as had console subwoofer (LX450). Factory speaker covers long gone. New JVC double din has very nice screen (Pioneers were not available) and I think in the 25-50W range per channel. It’s nothing special. New 6.5” Focal speakers in the 4 doors with good sound deadening throughout with the install. The real money was including the Kicker subwoofer and amp. This box (pick below) is very stable as long as 3 out of 4 wheels are touching the ground. It’s been well tested off road. I am extremely happy with the setup, on road and off. Interestingly, new wire was not run with the install which was a mistake. I have had some shorts. That’s being taken care of now.

1657772246111.jpeg

Sounds a bit complicated. But everyone has there way of looking at things. Last year I did the upgrade. Dash speakers had been previously disconnected as had console subwoofer (LX450). Factory speaker covers long gone. New JVC double din has very nice screen (Pioneers were not available) and I think in the 25-50W range per channel. It’s nothing special. New 6.5” Focal speakers in the 4 doors with good sound deadening throughout with the install. The real money was including the Kicker subwoofer and amp. This box (pick below) is very stable as long as 3 out of 4 wheels are touching the ground. It’s been well tested off road. I am extremely happy with the setup, on road and off. Interestingly, new wire was not run with the install which was a mistake. I have had some shorts. That’s being taken care of now.

View attachment 3058625
I tend to make things more complicated than needed. This really isn't. Just speakers and amp(S). more looking for experiences with Kicker speakers and running multiple amps. Thanks for your input.

I am running the kicker css67 component speakers in my front door. They work great. I installed the tweeters in the oem brackets for the little speakers in my dash.

I also have some kicker coaxial speakers in the rear door. I forgot the size. All 4 kickers are ran off an alpine amp I got for free. The amp is under the drivers seat.

I also have a 2nd amp in the rear quarter panel that runs a 12" kicker sub in the rear.

There are a few pictures in my build thread.

Post in thread 'The misadventures of Charlie Sh*t Brindle Brown' The misadventures of Charlie Sh*t Brindle Brown - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/the-misadventures-of-charlie-sh-t-brindle-brown.1252243/post-14466070

@orangefarmer - I would seriously consider at least 5 1/4" for the rear doors, they can fit without modification and depending on speaker depth some speakers like Pioneers can fit 6.5" in the rear as well. You can repurpose the 4" intended for the rears in the dash as many do fit under there.

The 4's are just so bad in the back no matter what kind of quality. :)

I am running the kicker css67 component speakers in my front door. They work great. I installed the tweeters in the oem brackets for the little speakers in my dash.

I also have some kicker coaxial speakers in the rear door. I forgot the size. All 4 kickers are ran off an alpine amp I got for free. The amp is under the drivers seat.

I also have a 2nd amp in the rear quarter panel that runs a 12" kicker sub in the rear.

There are a few pictures in my build thread.

Post in thread 'The misadventures of Charlie Sh*t Brindle Brown' The misadventures of Charlie Sh*t Brindle Brown - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/the-misadventures-of-charlie-sh-t-brindle-brown.1252243/post-14466070
Looks like a clean install. I am trying to keep the stock speaker grills, and I'm not sure that the 6.75 will fit without hitting the surround. I do think that I have decided on a 5 channel amp, and only run one. Easier install, and I don't have to run all of the wires to the rear quarter. Looks like you use your cruiser a lot. Good for you! wish I had that kind of time.

@orangefarmer - I would seriously consider at least 5 1/4" for the rear doors, they can fit without modification and depending on speaker depth some speakers like Pioneers can fit 6.5" in the rear as well. You can repurpose the 4" intended for the rears in the dash as many do fit under there.

The 4's are just so bad in the back no matter what kind of quality. :)
I'm trying to keep the stock grills. I would definitely run 6.5's if I wasn't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom