Stereo and Speakers? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm getting close to moving to the inside of my FJ and wondering what stereo folks have used to maintain a vintage look, but have modern abilities? Also, I'm assuming a amp will be needed a swell as speakers. I would like to run 4 speakers and am curious where the best placement would be? I really don't want to take the foot vent area.

Most likely amp under the driver seat, 2 speakers in the back curved area... just not sure about the front? Is there room in the doors?

I use this with some outdoor speakers in the back. Works great, looks OEM, amp hides under the seat, only about $120. I can either listen to the radio or connect via Bluetooth to my phone. It's plenty loud to hear over the wind/road noise.

20200404_105610.jpg
20200519_121246.jpg

SOR has speaker panels that fit in the front. No door cutting.

I ran this Bluetooth receiver in my 1st gen pickup and now my 40. I did not feel like cutting anything to install a head unit and I was on a budget. It plugs into the amplifier and can be wired to a switched source. It auto connects just like a modern stereo as well. I don't have much advice on the speakers though as I just have marine speakers mounted to my cage and that doesn't seem like the look you are going for.

I really don't want to take the foot vent area.

SOR has speaker panels that fit in the front. No door cutting.

:meh:

On the 75 plus doors it's possible to use cheap aftermarket door cards and mount the speakers in the doors without cutting door skin. Depth isn't there to mount decent speakers flush because of the window. Advantage of the late doors with vent windows which the US market never saw was the cavity for speakers was deeper. Which is my plan for some 84 doors I purchased. Even have a cavity for a tweeter on the top. Have some 84 ambulance doors that are never going to be perfect so figure a speakers in them as well.
IMG_20190829_151756800.jpg

IMG_20190829_164022397.jpg

Got the idea from these doors that were for sale a few years ago on mud.
F0E7372C-6601-4869-AAEF-81A82C0A583C.png

There is a cavity below the window while not deep a speaker could be mounted in it.
Don't need my opinion on the rest of the system as will not any high tech but a cassette player and CD changer in the glovebox.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom