Stereo and handsfree recs for noob (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm picking up my "new" 1996 80 series tomorrow. Very pumped. One thing im thinking about doing is putting an aftermarket stereo and bluetooth setup. Any recommendations/pics/suggestions?

Jvc kw-60bt $240ish amazon $260ish eBay

Double din, detachable face 6.1" inch touch screen.

Streams pandora through Bluetooth. But the JVC cable and it will stream Netflix and YouTube videos. On a recent road trip I rented redbox movie in one state and returned it in another. Best bang for the buck. Add some cheap 2way pioneer speakers in the doors.

I have a new oem antenna mast I need to sell. Since I stream pandora I never listen to the radio

XAV-701HD w/mirror link :cool:

x158XAV701H-F.jpeg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWNpKrEjWqs

Thinking about replaceing my current XAV-W1 :hmm:

I chose a Kenwood as I wanted a Garmin based NAV system. I can upload topo maps into it but have not made the time to do so.

I've got bluetooth, Sirius, iPod all connected. no complaints other than an occasional reboot during hard high speed wheeling where the vibration is just too much for it to handle.

Corbet said:
I chose a Kenwood as I wanted a Garmin based NAV system. I can upload topo maps into it but have not made the time to do so.

I've got bluetooth, Sirius, iPod all connected. no complaints other than an occasional reboot during hard high speed wheeling where the vibration is just too much for it to handle.

What model are you running? I've been looking at doing something like that. I didn't know you could load topo into the Kenwood system. Very cool, I understand they also play nice with iPads.

A

Just installed a JVC KD-X50BT last week, I am not a big audiophile I really just wanted the bluetooth and the ability to play/stream music from the the iPhone. I have been super stoked on this setup. Digital media receiver only which is perfect. Was also my first time ordering anything from Crutchfield and it came with everything needed for the install. Very happy

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-Tkr0agg0fo3/p_105KDX50BT/JVC-KD-X50BT.html

Also ordered the Pioneers for the front and rear doors, incredible difference in sound for not much money, ended up being able to get the head unit and the speakers (speakers form amazon) for right around $220 for everything

What model are you running? I've been looking at doing something like that. I didn't know you could load topo into the Kenwood system. Very cool, I understand they also play nice with iPads.

A

I don't believe you can do it with the newer versions, I looked into it last year and decided against it as I already have a pioneer nav system that works (but isn't topo)

this thread has some more info https://forum.ih8mud.com/electronic-toys/502504-definitive-24k-topo-kendwood-thread.html

I've since added a carpc and have full topomaps + whatever else, but that requires it's own thread.

Just installed a JVC KD-X50BT last week, I am not a big audiophile I really just wanted the bluetooth and the ability to play/stream music from the the iPhone. I have been super stoked on this setup. Digital media receiver only which is perfect. Was also my first time ordering anything from Crutchfield and it came with everything needed for the install. Very happy

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-Tkr0agg0fo3/p_105KDX50BT/JVC-KD-X50BT.html

Also ordered the Pioneers for the front and rear doors, incredible difference in sound for not much money, ended up being able to get the head unit and the speakers (speakers form amazon) for right around $220 for everything

With the crutchfield kit does it utilize the existing speaker wires? do the speakers in the back of the cargo compartment still work?

subscribed - :)

With the crutchfield kit does it utilize the existing speaker wires? do the speakers in the back of the cargo compartment still work?

Yes, the kit provides a harness that hooks up to the two gray plugs behind the dash, bypassing the factory amp. All the speakers, including the dash speakers and the cargo speakers still work.

A

I have an older DDX514 with the add on NAV, Sirius, Bluetooth, iPod. I caught a sale from Crutchfield that made it cheaper this way rather than an all in one unit. To run topo then, you needed a unit with a SD card slot(don't know requirements now). The entry level all in one unit did not have the SD card option. The add on NAV unit has such and I mounted it in my center console for easy access. I also wanted a volume knob not buttons. So this was the only model at the time that offered what I wanted. Wiring all the separate components sucked. I put the IPod in the glove box. The sirius is a Stiletto unit and is mounted in the rear cargo storage cubby on the passenger side. Bluetooth is under the center console. And as already mentioned the NAV in the center console. Mine is wired for full NAV control access and play DVDs while moving.

There are better ways to run topo than your head unit now. When I did the install other options were cost prohibitive. I like the iPod interface. My only complaint is that I can not access the MP3 library on my Stiletto that contains music recorded from Sirius. The rest of the Sirius is great. I only use the Bluetooth for the phone. You can text from the head unit if you want. I'm sure it will stream music from my phone(pandora) but the 3G in mountains is hit and miss so I've never done so.

The iPod connection will not charge our IPad or talk to it. I can't remember if I've ever tried to charge my iPhone 4s?

Pic
DDX514.jpg

Last edited:
subscribed++;

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom