Steps in lifting a FZJ80 for light wheeling... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm interested in taking my crusier on trails but as it is right now, it's a daily driver with a brush guard on it and it's not locked. I've been reading a bunch of posts and getting some info but I really wanted some suggestions to this question...

What would be the steps in getting my TLC ready to hit the trails?

I'm not interesting in big time rock crawling but want just enough lift and accessories to take my wife and kids out on these great Arizona trails and have a great time. I still need to keep my 95 fzj80 as a daily driver. Can anyone write down a 'plan of attack' per say, that I can start working towards? Thanks for the help in advance!

Step one: Remove 'brush guard' ...

Next ..

Springs, shocks, sliders, rear bumper with tire carrier. Sway bar drop brackets front and rear and caster correction bushing for the front. Suitable offroad tires with stronger sidewalls - BFG AT or Goodyear MTR would be a couple to look at. BFG ATs better on road, Goodyear MTR better offroad.

T Y L E R said:
Step one: Remove 'brush guard' ...

Next ..

I'd agree somewhat. If you like your "gaurd" leave it but remember that it can and will do more damage if you think you can push up against things with it. I left mine on becuase I like the look with it vs. without it and I don't have the money for an ARB yet. Also mine unlike all the others I know of, bolts pretty solid to the bumper (if you can use that phrase for these gaurds). I have run it into the dirt pretty good and I'm sure it's saved the front bumper from eating it and getting scratched up.

I hear ya on the brush guard... It's a Manik bar that was on the LC when I purchased it. I'll leave it on until I can get an ARB. Are there specifics on springs and shocks.... Is going with an OME setup like Slee has the way to go.... I really need specifics because I'm new to this whole things.. Thanks for the help!

1. Get yourself an OME 2.5" lift from Slee Get the heavy version if you plan on bumpers)

2. Get some good AT tires in the 285/75R16 size

3. start hitting the moderate trails and having fun.

The rest can come later and at a pace with you experience in driving offroad.

Yep I'd really watch out with the Manik gaurd. As you know it only bolts to the bottom of the frame and while driving you can see it shake around over bumps. Obviously if you push againt it, the gaurd will just push right in to the bumper, grill and probably the hood.

I'd get the OME heavy 2.5" setup. I bought the mediums before I really knew enough and I wish I would have got the heavies becuase they are the same price. The heavies will give you alittle more lift over the mediums because the front springs are the same but just around 25mm taller. Where as the rear are also slightly taller yet stiffer so they can carry more weight. I don't like how my mediums begin to "set down" when I add some camping gear. I don't carry much weight but with the full spare, full tank of gas, reciver hitch, jump sets, minimal gear and some people, the mediums barely cut it.

Also, I take it that I can get 285s or 305s on it without doing the shocks and springs beforehand? Is there an issue with rubbing or steering?

I just realized I wrote this before the latest responses.

Get some decent sized tires - something more aggressive than stock. Go play around and have fun. When you find your limits, lift it a few inches. You can have a lot of fun with just having a stock setup and some good tire tread.

Yep no rubbing with the 285 or 305, but you may also want to pick up the speedometer gear from slee to help correct for the change in tire diameter.

As far as shocks go you have a few choices and keep in mind that the stock shocks will also work. The only down fall of the stock shocks are that they are softer and shorter, so your downward wheel travel will be limited. Also there are other shock brands such as the Bilsteins or Edelbrock. Which I belive both are around 1/2" shorter than the OME, which to me is not noticeable flexing on the trail.

Last edited:
Guy's, thanks for all the info... so glad to have this forum. Let me ask a little bit more on lockers... Are the ARB air lockers the way to go. I do not have factory lockers... And is it worth getting the switch from Slee to have the conrtol of factory center locking in high... until I get after market lockers?

My .02: remove your running boards, remove your "brush guard", get more aggressive tires (Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo 285s are great for light to moderate wheeling and they some of the best on-road ATs). Start with some light trails and progress to moderate trails as you feel comfortable. In my opinion, for light wheeling, a lot of the suggestions here are overkill. You'd be surprised what your rig can do in stock form. Try the few "mods" I suggested and see how your rig performs for yourself before doing anything else like a lift, sliders, rear bumper, etc. Those are costly items and you may be able to wait/pass on those depending on how hard you plan to wheel.

zmacman said:
What would be the steps in getting my TLC ready to hit the trails?

I think that your 80 is already capable of safely covering many trails. I've seen several guys go out in stock 80s and cover some terrain that many vehicles couldn't handel. Strap the spare down inside the cargo area and you might be suprised what you can do. That said, without armor, ground clearance and traction (either lockers or more aggressive tires) you increase your probability of damage.

This would be my plan of attack:
1. Sliders
2. 285 or 305 ATs or MTs
3. OME lift
4. Bumpers

Have fun
:beer:

zmacman,

i'm in the same situation. have a lifted and locked taco but would like to wheel the 80 some. here's what i've doen so far. 285/75/16 tires went with bridgestone revos because most of the miles wil be on the road. my other rigs have bfg at's.

moved the spare tire inside, just am straping it down for now. took off the running boards. took of the luggage rack rails.

this rig has done some wheeling in the black hills and will be going there again soon. not real excited about lifting it another 2.5", but that will be my next mod if i go farther. I have lockers on the rig so that may happen some day.

just start with 285 tires and take it out to some of the great trails you have south and east of florence junction. the is a very strong tacoma group in phx, and they do trail rides almost every weekend this time of year. check out www.tacomaterritory.com to find them, beleive dan is the current president.

hope this helps!

zmacman said:
Guy's, thanks for all the info... so glad to have this forum. Let me ask a little bit more on lockers... Are the ARB air lockers the way to go. I do not have factory lockers... And is it worth getting the switch from Slee to have the conrtol of factory center locking in high... until I get after market lockers?

You've done your homework! The CDL button would need to be one of the first things to add, not quite part of lifting but a must for any type of wheeling. Don't forget the cup holder!! :D

You may also want to look into the stock tire carrier mod. Much better clearance and you can still fit a 33" tire under there.

In the southwest there are lots of great off road trails up and down the mountains, in and out of the canyons. Without trying to go rock crawling, one encounters washouts, small boulders, ledges, and dry waterfalls. Having the right equipment, in many cases, makes it easy to carry on to the destination, and avoids, at times, having to turn around and abandon your path.

In the case presented here, 4 or more passengers (and associated gear), a lift is more a necessity than an option. The extra load makes it more pertinent to get the spare out from underneath, and the gear needed for a group of passengers makes it even less likely having room inside in the back for the tire.

If you are ever going to get sliders, then get them up front, along with the suspension lift. Ask the guys who got their sliders after they smashed in their bodywork how they felt about that decision! If denting up your daily driver doesn’t bother you, then don’t sweat the sliders.

If spending the money is not an issue, and you already know that you and family will enjoy off road travel, then the best approach is to put all the heavy stuff on the same time as the suspension lift. Sliders, bumpers, tire carrier, etc, are heavy, and the springs you buy should be sized according to the weight.

2.5 inch lift, shocks, BFG AT tires, sliders, bumper with rear tire carrier, arb lockers (both axles or just rear), and you will have an great off road truck that will still be an excellent daily driver.

Regarding the manual center lock diff switch, I have yet to encounter an off road obstacle where my having that switch has made a significant difference in the ease of getting through.

Nice to see this LC make it to Phx. I looked at it and passed just because of it not having lockers, but really nice truck. Here is my list really it is very similar to others.

CDL (must without lockers)
Tires I think 305's look much better IMO
Remove running boards and brush guard
Sliders
2.5 heavy lift
bumpers
lockers

I have my old control arms so if you are going with the lift (which is alot of bang for the buck) You could use my arms to get the bushings pressed and then give my back your stock arms once you put the ones with bushings. (if that makes since) It is always a pain to have to take the arms and get the bushings pressed in mid lift.

Going with the the slee step sliders would also be nice on a DD rig with the lift IMO I love mine on my 6".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom