Builds Stepping into the 45 Club - My FZJ45 Resto-Mod (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Are you gonna cut the cab floor & fab your own transmission hump for the five speed? Room to clear the passenger tank? Great project!

Honestly haven’t thought that far through yet. Baby steps is my way. I am anticipating a fair amount of fab work, and that’s one area that comes to mind. I’m open to all tips and suggestions. I’ll be learning along the way.

Great looking build...

I have been working on a 1fz FE into a 70 series that came with carb'd 1fz. Going to use the same computer, so been fun getting the harness ready.

Have a full pin out of what you need from the wires in my thread.

I haven't been catching my alerts so just got caught up from about October. Looking good man.

I love seeing 1fz's getting used on projects. If it weren't for the daunting wiring/ecu part I think there would be a ton more.
@2fpower certainly is deep in his but it's happening.

Looking good @CaptClose. Looks like you had one last Hurrah with Fetcher!!! @Cowboy45 has his game on face about beating you on the build timeline🤣.

I took a little digging but... This is WAY back before computers and I was using airbrushes.View attachment 2117077
Very cool. I live in the land of Amway corporate headquarters. I used to push a vacuum and clean bathrooms every night at the world headquarters building while going to school. Nan VanAndel would work late almost every night (one of the founders daughters) and let me vacuum while she was working. Nice lady, definitely not riding on dads money.

Looking forward to this build!

Question about the H55 though, why not a h150/151/152? Factory bell housing to fit to the FZ and a lot stronger.

Can you get them over there like you can get a h55?

Question about the H55 though, why not a h150/151/152? Factory bell housing to fit to the FZ and a lot stronger.

Never sold in the US on a vehicle, so hard to find. I just had to find one and got really lucky.

I think that you can still buy them new. found it....
1578605319020.png

On mine, the first gear was bad, so I am trying to find a countershaft and first gear to get my original one fixed, then hope to sell it....

Never sold in the US on a vehicle, so hard to find. I just had to find one and got really lucky.

I think that you can still buy them new. found it....View attachment 2177814

On mine, the first gear was bad, so I am trying to find a countershaft and first gear to get my original one fixed, then hope to sell it....
The H152 is fitted to VDJ7# currently, the H150 was fitted until the MY17 model, 4.5 and 2.46 first and second.
H151 has a 4.08 first and 2.29 second and came in FZJ,/HDJ 80 and I believe 100 series.
H152 is basically first from H150, second from H151 and a .75 5th rather than the .88 of the others

Not sure if this is relevant but may be interesting

Frame has been restored (mostly). Still have to knock down and grind some old motor mints left over from a previous SBC swap, and then fit the new mounts for the 1FZ. Also, the driver’s side front frame horn appears to be twisted a bit, so will also need to address that. All in all, I’m quite satisfied with the result.

Here’s @fl4031003 (we affectionately refer to as Monroy) wiping the frame down with Prepall.

D10100A2-3D8F-4339-8271-F764BD21753E.jpeg

We all kind of took turns with the paint gun, but @CenTXFJ60 did all the heavy work.

E7A34731-DDAC-4BEE-BB1A-D8253043F997.jpeg

Here’s a quick video of the finished result

Frame has been restored (mostly). Still have to knock down and grind some old motor mints left over from a previous SBC swap, and then fit the new mounts for the 1FZ. Also, the driver’s side front frame horn appears to be twisted a bit, so will also need to address that. All in all, I’m quite satisfied with the result.

Here’s @fl4031003 (we affectionately refer to as Monroy) wiping the frame down with Prepall.

View attachment 2178304

We all kind of took turns with the paint gun, but @CenTXFJ60 did all the heavy work.

View attachment 2178305

Here’s a quick video of the finished result

Looks like Blue approves. Looks great man

I have Definitely gone back and forth on this very question. Honestly, I may change my mind. However, I’m leaning towards the H55 because they are easy to get, and I can buy a bell housing from FJ co.... All in, I’m around a thousand dollars cheaper than find an H151 that I’ve still gotta rebuild. I can still be convinced either way though.

I have Definitely gone back and forth on this very question. Honestly, I may change my mind. However, I’m leaning towards the H55 because they are easy to get, and I can buy a bell housing from FJ co.... All in, I’m around a thousand dollars cheaper than find an H151 that I’ve still gotta rebuild. I can still be convinced either way though.
Do you ever plan to hop up the 1FZ? If you might, H15# is a lot stronger and 5th is on the main shaft so not prone to 5th gear trouble

Do you ever plan to hop up the 1FZ? If you might, H15# is a lot stronger and 5th is on the main shaft so not prone to 5th gear trouble

Nope. No plans for a power upgrade. I think a stock 1FZ should have plenty of power for this build. It’s basically going to be a mall crawler haha.

Haven’t updated in a while, but you’ll be happy to know that I am now leaning towards the H151 👍🏼

It’s been slow progress. But I’ve got a few updates. The frame is in my garage now. I’ve mounted the cowl section in preparation for mocking up the motor mounts. I plan on hacking the mounts off a donor 80 frame and welding them into the 45 frame. This frame had a SBC in its past life, so I’ll need to knock out h those mounts before tacking the new mounts in.

CE939E5B-21A8-4DA9-A055-13DA95838844.jpeg

The 1FZ cylinder head has been pulled and it’s ready to send out to the machine shop for a rebuild. In the meantime, I had “The Elves” @Cowboy45 and @SipLife come by for a weekend of cruiser wrenching. They helped clean up the block and prep it for painting.

9891E3D8-E59C-4113-BDAA-4E068F9CDA22.jpeg

Keaton is a masking tape master...

45546AE6-32F0-4FF7-9A6A-E4712B986327.jpeg

Now it’s just a matter of cleaning, painting, refreshing, new gaskets, polishing nuts and bolts, etc... to bring this motor back to life. It’s coming along little by little....

7ED23BC4-244E-4BC2-AA33-B9DF80FC91E7.jpeg

86FF8428-40E0-4657-836B-91703F1E9AE6.jpeg

Seems like it’s always “hurry up and wait” when it comes to parts. Currently waiting....

Speaking of waiting.... I’m super excited to get my new bed from Colombia. We are getting closer and closer to filling up a container full of parts to ship to the states. The countdown is on, and this is motivating me to turn this frame into a roller as quickly as possible.

4757B1CA-7072-487F-93CA-D1F7BBED78C9.jpeg

13FD3046-6711-4C5C-8CB4-E233EAB42826.jpeg

Oh... I’m getting some fenders too 😀

C6032EE7-32BB-4012-B3F6-064C502EB4BD.jpeg

Now I’m looking for a 70 series rear axle. Probably a full float or LSD. If anyone has any leads, let me know!

Now I’m looking for a 70 series rear axle. Probably a full float or LSD. If anyone has any leads, let me know!

Full float is overrated for a truck like this in my opinion, and LSD's are DEFINITELY overrated in a 4x4 in my opinion. What are your goals for the vehicle?

Man, I sure could use the Elves help at my shop! Maybe if I tell them mine has AC they'll come down to help 😆

Nice work all!

We need to make a trip down there @samc2447. The elves have been heat treated at the elf barn. School of hard knocks. Turn the AC off when we come. 🤣. Soon for a visit I hope.

Last edited:
Full float is overrated for a truck like this in my opinion, and LSD's are DEFINITELY overrated in a 4x4 in my opinion. What are your goals for the vehicle?

Mall crawler. You’re right on both accounts of course. I guess me logic is... if you’re gonna build it, you might as well overbuild it. You can’t blame me for that Matt, I didn’t really adopt that mindset until I spent an afternoon with you in your garage! 🤣

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom