Stepped Flywheel (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What does it mean to be stepped? I need to get mine resurfaced this week and don't want to look like too much of an idiot.

Also, how much should I expect to pay?

Another also, should I take it to a tranny shop, reg garage etc. I know Marborodis mentioned NAPA, don't know if there are any near where I live.

Thanks guys!

I think you are referring to the lip on the perimeter of a F flywheel, I don't think a 2F flywheel has this lip, thus the added weight to the F's flywheel. This lip protrudes around ¼” off the surface of the flywheel.

I had NAPA warehouse resurface mine, I think it was a day turnaround, and about $40 if I remember correctly.

I got out the scale for fun and was surprised that both the 3 speed and 4 speed pressure plates weighed in at 25lbs. The 4 speed flywheel is 34lbs and the 3 speed is 37lbs.
clutch.jpg

2badfjs said:
where abouts do you live?
lots of places in denver do it.

Highlands. Just called all the NAPA close by and none of them resuface them. Guess I will just drive around some places near my house.

bustanutley said:
I think you are referring to the lip on the perimeter of a F flywheel, I don't think a 2F flywheel has this lip, thus the added weight to the F's flywheel. This lip protrudes around ¼” off the surface of the flywheel.

Both are stepped. You can sort of see the outline of the step on the 2F in Treeroot's picture. The 2F flywheel is stepped "20 thou" (or .020 inches). I have been told that all Toyota truck flywheels are the same, so any competent machine shop should have that stat on hand.

Finding the step spec for an F flywheel was a little tougher for my machine shop and I can't remember what it ended up being. Sorry...

IIRC, I pay $25-30 for a two-surface regrind. Flywheels are easy stuff and a LOT of local auto parts stores with knowledgable staff (i.e. not Checker/Schucks/Kragen) have the equipment.

e rock said:
Both are stepped. You can sort of see the outline of the step on the 2F in Treeroot's picture. The 2F flywheel is stepped "20 thou" (or .020 inches). I have been told that all Toyota truck flywheels are the same, so any competent machine shop should have that stat on hand.

Finding the step spec for an F flywheel was a little tougher for my machine shop and I can't remember what it ended up being. Sorry...

IIRC, I pay $25-30 for a two-surface regrind. Flywheels are easy stuff and a LOT of local auto parts stores with knowledgable staff (i.e. not Checker/Schucks/Kragen) have the equipment.

oh yeah :doh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom