Steering (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 99 and it has all stock suspension components lately the steering seems somewhat sloppy and while the wheels track straight the steering wheel is going further to the right. Small adjustments take a lot of steering wheel movements. All of the ball joints have been replaced recently and the tie rod ends (outside) seem to be just fine. There is a power steering leak and i have yet to find its origin. Thanks in advance all.

These trucks are notorious for having worn out steering rack bushings after twenty years. you can lay on the ground while someone turns the steering wheel left and right. if you see the rack itself shifting from side to side then you have worn out steering rack bushings. I would recommend purchasing the white line kit and searching on here for the diy replacement process.

I would also disconnect your tie rod end and see if they are still ok. they may appear to be fine visually but could have a lot of play internally.

It will get worse. Almost certainly steering rack bushings. Classic symptoms.

Agreed. Have done these once on our 2004 and twice on our 2000. Have done two tie rod ends at different times.

Sounds like play inside the rack, not just the bushings.

This could also be inner tie rods. Get the wheels off the ground. If you can move them individually left and right (1/2" or so), the inner is gone for that side.

Try flushing your power steering and adding AT-205 with new fluid. It reconditions the seals, and successfully stopped a leak for me.

FWIW, I just discovered one of my outer tie rods has slop. I've checked it literally 4 other times and couldn't see it. The trick that finally made it apparent for me was to jack up the tire by the lower A arm. This lifts the tire, but keeps everything else perfectly solid. It was then very obvious where the slop was.

Before using the aforementioned trick, I thought it was just the rack bushings. Now I know it's definitely (at least partially) the outer tie rod.

rack bushings is where i would look. My 99 was almost a half turn to get get input to actually start a turn. had the wife turn wheel while under and the rack was shifting before it engaged motion.

These trucks are notorious for having worn out steering rack bushings after twenty years. you can lay on the ground while someone turns the steering wheel left and right. if you see the rack itself shifting from side to side then you have worn out steering rack bushings. I would recommend purchasing the white line kit and searching on here for the diy replacement process.

I would also disconnect your tie rod end and see if they are still ok. they may appear to be fine visually but could have a lot of play internally.
Just went under there and even a visual inspection showed them to be in very poor condition. As far as i could tell there is one that goes over the rack and two others that sit perpendicular to it. The are all in need of replacement. I even saw on the bracket that goes over the rack some indication that it had been sliding back and forth so that is definitely my issue. I never though to check for that so thanks for the advice. btw there is a bushing around a mount holding the front diff to the crossmember that goes underneath the front of the motor that seems to be in very poor condition. Is this something that others deal with as well?

Just went under there and even a visual inspection showed them to be in very poor condition. As far as i could tell there is one that goes over the rack and two others that sit perpendicular to it. The are all in need of replacement. I even saw on the bracket that goes over the rack some indication that it had been sliding back and forth so that is definitely my issue. I never though to check for that so thanks for the advice. btw there is a bushing around a mount holding the front diff to the crossmember that goes underneath the front of the motor that seems to be in very poor condition. Is this something that others deal with as well?

Yes. Replace all diff bushings while you are at it.

Do a 'search' for all part numbers and procedures. Lots to read.

Yes. Replace all diff bushings while you are at it.

Do a 'search' for all part numbers and procedures. Lots to read.
I am looking in the forums and while there are plenty of part num it seems as though I cannot find a comprehensive guide for this job. Every other job I can easily find guides but even though everyone apparently has done this job no one bothered to put a good guide up. I guess that means its not that complicated. Anyway if you guys know of a good guide plz link it so i can stop looking. Thanks for the help you guys are awesome

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom