Steering (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So is the usual look when it is leaking?

AB7126E9-1D73-4DA4-80EE-6D906C1303A3.jpeg

A15907F6-9E28-4ADC-980D-02E69121D5F2.jpeg

794B5F5C-5B67-4A90-B07A-1D811F972021.jpeg

Yeah...are you loosing fluid?

When was the last time you degreased and completely cleaned it. Then checked the quantity?
What fluid do you use? It’s a routine maintenance item, I wouldn’t be too worried but I always
recommend the first steps just to see if the problem can be isolated. How are all the lines
and fittings on the rest of the system?

I actually have not degreased the engine compartment since I bought it last year. I just recently did the front axle and fixed both sides. On a cold reading I’m not even showing a reading so its low. Not sure what type the previous owner used but they followed specs. The lines look okay but everything on that side does have that slick coating so it definitely makes it difficult to narrow it down.

I actually have not degreased the engine compartment since I bought it last year. I just recently did the front axle and fixed both sides. On a cold reading I’m not even showing a reading so its low. Not sure what type the previous owner used but they followed specs. The lines look okay but everything on that side does have that slick coating so it definitely makes it difficult to narrow it down.
If fluid level is not low...and power steering is working fine. I would watch it.

It's not hard to change out the power steering pump if your are desmogged, but its little tight with all the pollution crap.

My leak was the actual round gasket on the power steering pump reservoir. Changed the gasket and all was bueno.
..one month later needed to replace my pump and it was leaking way more than a drop like your picture. It was a stream of red fluid.

Most here accept a dribble of some fluid from these old rigs unless major overhaul/parts replacement has occurred.

Add dextron trans fluid to the cold fill mark. Clean up the outside of the reservoir and pump. I'd use brake cleaner ie part cleaner in a spray can. Check again after driving a few times to find the source of the leak. Hope that it is just a loose fitting hose or even a hose that needs replacing.

Leaking fluid from the p.s. pump can damage the smog pump. Also it can get on your driver's side engine mount causing the rubber in it to degrade. This can end up causing a tear in the rubber part of the motor mount. The engine will lift on the driver's side when torqued causing the fan blade to hit the fan shroud. Not a huge deal but you'll end up having to jack up the motor and replace the engine mount or put a bolt thru it.(this best done while the p.s. pump is out of the way)

If your p.s. pump fails consider a saginaw conversion. Georg with Valley hybrids sells an adapter kit that mounts to the p.s. pump bracket along with a pulley and belt for the new sag pump that can be had at any auto parts store in the country for around $60. New toyota pumps are available but have become very pricy...about 10x that of a saginaw P series.

Add dextron trans fluid to the cold fill mark. Clean up the outside of the reservoir and pump. I'd use brake cleaner ie part cleaner in a spray can. Check again after driving a few times to find the source of the leak. Hope that it is just a loose fitting hose or even a hose that needs replacing.

Leaking fluid from the p.s. pump can damage the smog pump. Also it can get on your driver's side engine mount causing the rubber in it to degrade. This can end up causing a tear in the rubber part of the motor mount. The engine will lift on the driver's side when torqued causing the fan blade to hit the fan shroud. Not a huge deal but you'll end up having to jack up the motor and replace the engine mount or put a bolt thru it.(this best done while the p.s. pump is out of the way)

If your p.s. pump fails consider a saginaw conversion. Georg with Valley hybrids sells an adapter kit that mounts to the p.s. pump bracket along with a pulley and belt for the new sag pump that can be had at any auto parts store in the country for around $60. New toyota pumps are available but have become very pricy...about 10x that of a saginaw P series.
City Racee has OEM type replacement ag half the Toyota price. He only sells quality IMHO. Saginaw is fine, but it's not stock in appearance
How long did that OEM part last..? I know I'm starting a debate...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom