Steering wonders after alignment (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
40 wonders really bad above 40 mph, and there feels to be excessive play in the steering. I took it to a shop to get it aligned, and they said it aligned fine but to replace the steering box. Wondering if this sounds correct given how expensive they are.

All new TRE's and vibration damper.
Brand new wheels and tires

Im having the same issue with the new one i just picked up I think that bushings should be replaced first as its usually the easiest and cheapest You running P/S?

40 wonders really bad above 40 mph, and there feels to be excessive play in the steering. I took it to a shop to get it aligned, and they said it aligned fine but to replace the steering box. Wondering if this sounds correct given how expensive they are.

All new TRE's and vibration damper.
Brand new wheels and tires
You want to inspect all of the steering components, knuckles included. There are a lot of steering parts. Is the 40 lifted, what year?

What kind of suspension? Might need some castor correction shims.

Post a picture of the alignment sheet and we can tell.

Swap tires front to back see if it changes.

With two people pretty easy to check the play in the steering box. One person turns the wheel and the other watches the pitman arm. Freeplay is how much the steering wheel can turn without the pitman arm moving. Since a shop recommended a steering box that is the first thing I would check. These can be rebuild.

The front axle is new from the knuckle out because I just completed a disc brake swap. New birfs, hubs, rotors calipers, bearings etc.

The suspension is an unknown rough country kit I haven't found any specs from the numbers on the springs.

Wheels and tires are brand new. Maybe 10mi on them.

I'll get a buddy help me with testing the box, there is a lot of free playing the steering wheel from side to side before you go feel any resistance

Depending on the number of miles on the box you may be able to adjust some of the slop out. FSM will explain how this adjustment is made.

If lifted then add shims to correct the geometry, X2 on steering wheel play. I corrected mine by tightening the steering box to take the play out of the pittman arm and then giving it several pumps of grease. Again, the FSM is your friend on trouble shooting and correcting any issues. Mine was the same after I did the frame off restoration and the OME 2" lift

In the aviation business I don't do anything without the manuals open. The FAA fines are $10K per item if the manuals are not followed. Just good practice for any mechanical work. Good luck on the fix.

Stock the steering box has oil not grease in it. When I was much younger I have the same issue in my 68 FJ40. Adjusting the screw did nothing. My neighbor was a old school mechanic. Had his own shop and work on a lot of heavy equipment. He torn the box down moved shims on the sector shaft from one side to the other. This moved the sector closer to center under the worm gear. This reduced the freeplay in the steering wheel. When he was finished he filled the box with grease. This was probably forty years ago and box is still good today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom