Steering wheel way off center...then corrects? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've had my 2003 Lexus LX470 with 184K miles for a few months now, all maintenance is done (whew!) and I have one issue that I'm scratching my head on. Normally the steering is fine, nice and tight with a centered steering wheel..Returns to center normally. No issues

Twice now though when making tight turns (think U turn) on normal paved roads, the steering wheel is way off center for a short time and gradually comes back into center and continues to work properly after that without issue. I've never seen anything like this -- other than a loose rack I'm not sure where to start looking. Any 100 series LC/LX idiosyncrasies I should be looking for?

Mine (also an '03 LX) occasionally does that, but always self-corrects. I think it's the VGRS system—maybe poke around VGRS threads to see if one of them better answers your question.

I've had my 2003 Lexus LX470 with 184K miles for a few months now, all maintenance is done (whew!) and I have one issue that I'm scratching my head on. Normally the steering is fine, nice and tight with a centered steering wheel..Returns to center normally. No issues

Twice now though when making tight turns (think U turn) on normal paved roads, the steering wheel is way off center for a short time and gradually comes back into center and continues to work properly after that without issue. I've never seen anything like this -- other than a loose rack I'm not sure where to start looking. Any 100 series LC/LX idiosyncrasies I should be looking for?

I've had that happen a few times, usually only in very tight turns with lots of throttle input . VGRS normally figures it back out after a turn or two.

Could be low voltage as well. Mine did that a while back. Ended up needing another alternator.

Thanks guys! Good to hear it's just part of the normal system function.

Mine did it a few times usually tight turns into a slope driveway or apron. Alternator huh? What not have thought of that one

It is not really normal behavior!

Try this to correct:
Disconnect battery for 30 minutes. Good time to clean post and grease them.
Then connect battery, start and drive in straight line at 30-35MPH for 500 yards or more.
Then do full turns one way than the other. Figure eights works well at this point.

If steering still does this, have inspected. Lexus Dealership is best for this inspection, they can rest also. There is a TSB that may deal with this, if corrected it will usually be in the Lexus history under your VIN#.

Other times I see this issue, but it happens on ever turn and I've only seen pre 03 steering rack. Is when steering rack mounting bushing are shot, I mean really bad. Steering wheel lags, in returning to normal, after turn when wheels are tracking straight.

It is not really normal behavior!

Try this to correct:
Disconnect battery for 30 minutes. Good time to clean post and grease them.
Then connect battery, start and drive in straight line at 30-35MPH for 500 yards or more.
Then do full turns one way than the other. Figure eights works well at this point.

If steering still does this, have inspected. Lexus Dealership is best for this inspection, they can rest also. There is a TSB that may deal with this, if corrected it will usually be in the Lexus history under your VIN#.

Other times I see this issue, but it happens on ever turn and I've only seen pre 03 steering rack. Is when steering rack mounting bushing are shot, I mean really bad. Steering wheel lags, in returning to normal, after turn when wheels are tracking straight.

No, if it is happening frequently, it is not normal. If it happens once in a blue moon (3 times over 13 years in my case) I wouldn’t classify it as all that terribly unusual either.

I’m aware of some recalls on later model LS, but am unaware of an equivalent recall on the LX470.

I seem to recall a post about someone having this issue frequently, that was fixed by replacing the VGRS ECU

Manufacturer Recall Issued

NHTSA #10V-346

Recall #ALF Safety Recall ALF - Certain 2003 through 2007 Model Year Lexus LX 470 Vehicles

Steering Shaft

03 + added VGRS Steering gear actuator had issues. Steering Snap ring

If you’re referring to the recall I believe you are, I believe the “symptoms” were described a little different than the OP’s description, but by all means verify that the update has been done.

This one for the LX ?:

Recall Number
10V346000
Recall Date
07/29/2010
Component
STEERING:GEAR BOX:SHAFT PITMAN
Summary
TOYOTA IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2003-2007 LEXUS LX470 VEHICLES. THE CONSTRUCTION OF THE STEERING SHAFT IS SUCH THAT THE SNAP RING ON THE SHAFT MAY DISENGAGE WHEN THE VEHICLE EXPERIENCES AN UNUSUALLY SEVERE IMPACT TO THE FRONT WHEELS. IF THE SNAP RING BECOMES DISENGAGED AND THE STEERING WHEEL IS THEN REPEATEDLY TURNED TO THE LOCKED POSITION, OVER TIME THE STEERING SHAFT MAY BECOME DISCONNECTED.

Consequence
THIS COULD RESULT IN LOSS OF STEERING CONTROL INCREASING THE RISK OF A CRASH.

What Owners Should Do
DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE SNAP RING WITH A NEWLY DESIGNED ONE AND INSTALL AN ADDITIONAL COMPONENT WHICH WILL PREVENT SEPARATION OF THE STEERING SHAFT. THIS SERVICE WILL BE PERFORMED FREE OF CHARGE. THE SAFETY RECALL BEGAN ON AUGUST 23, 2010. OWNERS MAY CONTACT LEXUS AT 1-800-255-3987.

vs this one that I was thinking of for the LS460, which does sound like the OP’s symptom:

TOYOTA ANNOUNCES VOLUNTARY RECALL ON
CERTAIN LEXUS LS 460 AND LS 600h L VEHICLES
TO ADDRESS TEMPORARY STEERING WHEEL OFF-CENTER CONDITION
TORRANCE, Calif., May 21, 2010 – Toyota Motor Sales (TMS), U.S.A., Inc., today announced it will conduct a voluntary safety recall on approximately 3,800 Lexus late 2009 and certain 2010 model year LS 460 and LS 600h L vehicles in the U.S. equipped with Variable Gear Ratio Steering (VGRS) to address a temporary steering wheel off-center condition that may develop under a specific driving maneuver. No other Toyota, Lexus, or Scion vehicles are involved in this recall.
The VGRS system enables easier handling during low-speed driving and provides better stability during high-speed driving than conventional steering by changing the gear ratio.
The VGRS system may exhibit a temporary steering wheel off-center condition after driving away quickly from a very tight turn where the steering was at full lock position. The steering wheel off-center position will automatically be corrected in approximately five seconds by the VGRS system as the vehicle is driven. The driver may notice the system auto correcting as the steering wheel slowly moves to the center position while driving straight during the VGRS correction.
Due to the specific driving circumstances, this condition will not occur during normal driving such as changing lanes or turning at intersections. Lexus recently received one customer report in the U.S. regarding this condition; no accidents or injuries have been reported.
“Our entire company is taking major steps to become a more responsive and safety focused organization,” said Steve St. Angelo, Toyota chief quality officer for North America. “We’re listening closely to our customers and taking action to address this steering issue in certain Lexus models quickly.”
As soon as the remedy parts are available, Lexus will begin sending notification letters by first class mail to owners of the involved vehicles. The letter will advise owners to bring their vehicle to a Lexus dealer to have the Steering Control computer replaced with a newly designed one at no charge. The computer replacement is expected to take less than one hour, depending on dealer workload.
Detailed information about this recall is available through Lexus Customer Satisfaction at 1-800-25 LEXUS or 1-800-255-3987 or at www.lexus.com/recall.
###

Last edited:
If you’re referring to the recall I believe you are, I believe the “symptoms” were described a little different than the OP’s description, but by all means verify that the update has been done.

This one for the LX ?:

Recall Number
10V346000
Recall Date
07/29/2010
Component
STEERING:GEAR BOX:SHAFT PITMAN
Summary
TOYOTA IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2003-2007 LEXUS LX470 VEHICLES. THE CONSTRUCTION OF THE STEERING SHAFT IS SUCH THAT THE SNAP RING ON THE SHAFT MAY DISENGAGE WHEN THE VEHICLE EXPERIENCES AN UNUSUALLY SEVERE IMPACT TO THE FRONT WHEELS. IF THE SNAP RING BECOMES DISENGAGED AND THE STEERING WHEEL IS THEN REPEATEDLY TURNED TO THE LOCKED POSITION, OVER TIME THE STEERING SHAFT MAY BECOME DISCONNECTED.

Consequence
THIS COULD RESULT IN LOSS OF STEERING CONTROL INCREASING THE RISK OF A CRASH.

What Owners Should Do
DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE SNAP RING WITH A NEWLY DESIGNED ONE AND INSTALL AN ADDITIONAL COMPONENT WHICH WILL PREVENT SEPARATION OF THE STEERING SHAFT. THIS SERVICE WILL BE PERFORMED FREE OF CHARGE. THE SAFETY RECALL BEGAN ON AUGUST 23, 2010. OWNERS MAY CONTACT LEXUS AT 1-800-255-3987.

vs this one that I was thinking of for the LS460, which does sound like the OP’s symptom:

TOYOTA ANNOUNCES VOLUNTARY RECALL ON
CERTAIN LEXUS LS 460 AND LS 600h L VEHICLES
TO ADDRESS TEMPORARY STEERING WHEEL OFF-CENTER CONDITION
TORRANCE, Calif., May 21, 2010 – Toyota Motor Sales (TMS), U.S.A., Inc., today announced it will conduct a voluntary safety recall on approximately 3,800 Lexus late 2009 and certain 2010 model year LS 460 and LS 600h L vehicles in the U.S. equipped with Variable Gear Ratio Steering (VGRS) to address a temporary steering wheel off-center condition that may develop under a specific driving maneuver. No other Toyota, Lexus, or Scion vehicles are involved in this recall.
The VGRS system enables easier handling during low-speed driving and provides better stability during high-speed driving than conventional steering by changing the gear ratio.
The VGRS system may exhibit a temporary steering wheel off-center condition after driving away quickly from a very tight turn where the steering was at full lock position. The steering wheel off-center position will automatically be corrected in approximately five seconds by the VGRS system as the vehicle is driven. The driver may notice the system auto correcting as the steering wheel slowly moves to the center position while driving straight during the VGRS correction.
Due to the specific driving circumstances, this condition will not occur during normal driving such as changing lanes or turning at intersections. Lexus recently received one customer report in the U.S. regarding this condition; no accidents or injuries have been reported.
“Our entire company is taking major steps to become a more responsive and safety focused organization,” said Steve St. Angelo, Toyota chief quality officer for North America. “We’re listening closely to our customers and taking action to address this steering issue in certain Lexus models quickly.”
As soon as the remedy parts are available, Lexus will begin sending notification letters by first class mail to owners of the involved vehicles. The letter will advise owners to bring their vehicle to a Lexus dealer to have the Steering Control computer replaced with a newly designed one at no charge. The computer replacement is expected to take less than one hour, depending on dealer workload.
Detailed information about this recall is available through Lexus Customer Satisfaction at 1-800-25 LEXUS or 1-800-255-3987 or at www.lexus.com/recall.
###

That LS460 recall is bang on what I experience occasionally (twice, really). I can totally live with it as it is but good to know about the other snap ring issue....May have to go look that area over just to be sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom