Steering Wheel Vibration Post Front Axle Service (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads

Quick question for the mud gurus! So my 9680 has 205,000 miles on it and I picked it up yesterday after having a full front axle service that included the Burf rebuilds, new spindles, new wheel nut lugs, new front wheel bearings, and new OEM brake pads all around along with OEM extended brake lines for the front because of my icon phase 1 lift. Also had all of the suspension bushings replaced with OEM, so overall a significant service. As you can see from the attached short video around 45 miles an hour there is a pronounced vibration/shimmy/shake in the steering wheel that seems to feel as though it’s coming straight up through the steering box from the wheels into the steering wheel. It’s pronounced when going straight and only in a very small range of speed. The steering box was rebuilt last year and the tie rod ends were recently replaced with OEM. Any initial ideas or thoughts on the source of the vibration? Thank you as always! And yes in the photo you can see I need to remove the nut washers so that the Wits End nut huggers are functioning as the washer, they’ll be fixing that later this week!
Steering wheel video

917B3448-A54C-4D33-88A1-90FFDA2CDEAB.jpeg

I guess you checked to make sure no wheel weights came off?
Missing wheel weight will not cause the oscillation of the steering wheel he is seeing at low speed. That's rotors and/or wheels and/or tires.

What's up with those studs? I see five exposed threads on one, four on another, and three on the rest. Not to mention the fact you appear to have washers *and* the Nut Hugger (?) on there, which should really be limiting the number of exposed threads.
Yeah that caught my eye too when I picked it up and why I included it in the post to see who would catch it 😆

sorry to hear about your troubles.

This is just more confirmation that I should never let anyone work on my LC. Even if I F it up, at least I know who to blame.

Good luck getting back on track.
I hear you and I wish I had the space and time to do it myself but I work long hours and have almost no free time with that and family commitments! I wish I could do more of my own wrenching but this kind of outcome makes me feel like I need to make the time 🤦‍♂️

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom