Steering wheel vibration on washboarded gravel/dirt roads? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Have an '04 TLC with 18" wheels and Nitto Grapplers. About 240K miles. All suspension elements seem to be stock. Spent some time this past summer with my son in northern AZ / southern UT visiting national parks and forests. On several washboarded roads, even at low speeds, the steering wheel vibration / general bumpiness inside the car was crazy even at low (~15 mph) speeds. No problems at all on paved roads at any speed. Super-smooth. Is this a common thing on washboarded roads? I have had my vehicle since May, 2017, and this is the only real flaw I have experienced. I am wondering if I was being too sensitive to the shaking. I noticed on a few roads that other vehicles heading my way going in the opposite direction were traveling much faster (Wranglers and 4Runners). Not trying to set any rally records, but I'm anxious to get back out there and trying to get a sense of what a reasonable expectation is regarding the shaking. Maybe I need to learn how to drive on a washboarded road? Go faster? (Not sure that is the best solution but I'm open for anyone's advice here.)

New shocks, new ball joints, and all new rubber all around in your LX will solve the issue. And by rubber, I don't mean tires. Every rubber byshing is 17 years old now, so that's why it's so harsh on gravel.

Not cheap either replacing everything

Lower your tire pressure off pavement

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom