Steering Wheel Squeak (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Romer

fatherofdaughterofromer
Threads
I have a steering wheel squeak that happens when you first start driving in colder weather and only when you are turning left. There have been several posts about this. The solution CDAN offered applied to non-airbagged cruisers. I have airbags.

What I was wondering if anyone has pinpointed the spot that is doing this. I thought I would take the cover off the coulmn and see if it is practical to try and inject some grease into the trouble spot. Would need to know the more about the what and why before I stare at the FSM with a beer.

I'll probably do that (Beer and stare at FSM) anyways if I don't get any info. If I come up with something, I'll post it here.

I had this problem last winter and it went away during the summer and now its back and is worse.

I had something like that on the (s)old '93. Turned out in weather extremes the back of the steering wheel, right where it joins the dash, warped and rubbed ever so slightly.

David

I had this problem on my camry(airbagged) and my 81 mini( non) problem with both was the sliding connection for the horn. WD-40 works great and you don't have to take it all apart. Just give a couple squirts in between the wheel and the column and it shoud quiet right down. If that doesn't work......

welll

hell if I know

Good Luck,
Dan

It's probably in the spiral cable or "clockspring" I would not recommend lubricating that.

My bet's on the clock spring too. I had it go out on mine a year or two ago. I was covered under a CPO warranty at the time, so there was no charge to me. I have no idea what it would cost to replace, nor the steps involved.

Doesn't seem like a DIY thing...unless you want to pull the airbag...carefully...

Wll 30 minutes before Dans Post I took a can of WD40 and stuck the straw between the wheel and the column and gave it a squirt in the places. So far its quiet, but the turth will come out over the next few days.

Romer said:
...but the turth will come out over the next few days.

:eek:
I'm not sure what it is, but I got a feeling that I don't want to be anywhere near your rig when the "turth" comes out!

:eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom