Steering Wheel Squeak

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by Romer, Oct 31, 2005.

1. Romer

Romer fatherofdaughterofromer Moderator

I have a steering wheel squeak that happens when you first start driving in colder weather and only when you are turning left. There have been several posts about this. The solution CDAN offered applied to non-airbagged cruisers. I have airbags.

What I was wondering if anyone has pinpointed the spot that is doing this. I thought I would take the cover off the coulmn and see if it is practical to try and inject some grease into the trouble spot. Would need to know the more about the what and why before I stare at the FSM with a beer.

I'll probably do that (Beer and stare at FSM) anyways if I don't get any info. If I come up with something, I'll post it here.

I had this problem last winter and it went away during the summer and now its back and is worse.

2. nakman

nakman addict.

Romer, I have the exact same thing. colder it is, worse it is.. only when turning left. Sounds like one of those doves outside "who. who."

I look forward to you figuring this out. :)

3. OZCAL

OZCAL

I had something like that on the (s)old '93. Turned out in weather extremes the back of the steering wheel, right where it joins the dash, warped and rubbed ever so slightly.

David

4. KliersLC

KliersLC

I had this problem on my camry(airbagged) and my 81 mini( non) problem with both was the sliding connection for the horn. WD-40 works great and you don't have to take it all apart. Just give a couple squirts in between the wheel and the column and it shoud quiet right down. If that doesn't work......

welll

hell if I know

Good Luck,
    Dan

5. cruiserdan

cruiserdan SupportingVendor Emeritus Moderator

Land Cruiser Heritage Museum broom closet
    It's probably in the spiral cable or "clockspring" I would not recommend lubricating that.

6. NorCalDoug

NorCalDoug problems solved daily...

My bet's on the clock spring too. I had it go out on mine a year or two ago. I was covered under a CPO warranty at the time, so there was no charge to me. I have no idea what it would cost to replace, nor the steps involved.

Doesn't seem like a DIY thing...unless you want to pull the airbag...carefully...

7. Romer

Romer fatherofdaughterofromer Moderator

Wll 30 minutes before Dans Post I took a can of WD40 and stuck the straw between the wheel and the column and gave it a squirt in the places. So far its quiet, but the turth will come out over the next few days.

8. NorCalDoug

NorCalDoug problems solved daily...

:eek:
    I'm not sure what it is, but I got a feeling that I don't want to be anywhere near your rig when the "turth" comes out!

:eek:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.