Steering wheel shake (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
members.sounddomain.com
I had 31x10.5 muds on 15x6 rims. I changed the tires over to some newly painted 15x8 rims (and had them balanced) as the tires were bulging out too much and contacted the TRE at full right turn.

Steering was "fine" before (albeit pretty loose), but after theI put the tires on I've got a fair shake in the steering wheel at about 60km/hr.

While I was changing the tires I also tried to tighten up the center arm a bit. I cranked it down a 1/4 turn after the first day of shaking but it's still about the same.

My father in law suggested that it's possibly because the stance is a bit wider now (tires stick out of fenders about 1-1.5" now instead of 0 as it was before) plus I rotated the front tires to the back.

Any ideas???

Thanks

stance is not it.

I do think changing rim width 2 inches made a difference. Changes how the tire contacts the cement.

Before trying anything else I would borrow a set of tires and try those, to see if there is any difference.

Shaking of the steering wheel at speed is normally loose wheel bearings.

I'll try opening it up and checking out the bearings then.

I forgot to mention, the one TRE that was being rubbed was pretty much toasted (rubber boot was rubbed right off teh one side). I didn't have any of the shaking before even with this, but could this be a possible culprt as well? (I'll replace it anyways as soon as possible, but just thought I'd ask).

Thanks again

I'm going to guess your wheel bearings are likely fine. The change in wheels pulled out a weakness that was already there. Bad balance, bent wheel could be it but bad tie rod ends, not enough caster angle, and bad knuckle ball joint are all possible issues.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom