steering wheel removal? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

lx450landcruiser

Threads
any one done it? how hard? im thinking in the future instead of wrapping my wheel ill just swap it for a newer looking one off a hit and run lx here in town. what do you guys think? worth the hastle? i hate wrapps i they just look like crap and evey one knows their hiding something.

thanks mike

Do not approach steering wheel removal lightly in any airbag-equipped vehicle. DO NOT attempt it unless you have read the applicable FSM section regarding working around the airbag and you FULLY UNDERSTAND the information AND YOU HAVE ALL THE APPROPRIATE TOOLS.

Serious injury and broken expensive parts are likely unless the proper procedures are followed exactly.

D-

Ahhh come on dan you know me...... No but in all reality i wound never touch this unless i though it was a feasable operation. i would of course read the fsm along with anything else i could gt my hands on when it came to this type of thing.

I just don't want you, or anybody else for that matter, getting a "pillow" in the face when you least expect it......;)

Just as Dan said be extra careful when removing the air bag from the steering wheel and pay attention to the FSM.

Now having said that removing the wheel is actually a simple procedure. The air bag comes out after two set screws are removed through the side access panels and then it's just one nut to get the wheel off after the airbag is removed (as per FSM instructions). Also a bit of advice on getting the wheel off once the bag is removed:

You could get a steering wheel removal tool or you could just loosen the shaft nut a bit and pull hard on the wheel with a rocking motion to get the wheel off. Make sure you leave the nut on to catch the wheel when it comes loose or the wheel will most likely jerk up in your face and rearrange your teeth.

All in all it's about a 5 minute job (+90 seconds; the amount of time you should wait after you've disconnected the battery so the ABS system can discharge, but don't take my word for it, read the FSM)

Derek,

I have a 93, no airbags, and I want to remove the steering wheel because when it's cold, it squeeks sometimes, nothing but annoying. I know I have to lubricate some kind of seal, but could you please give me some details.

Thanks,
Alex

bj70alex said:
Derek,

I have a 93, no airbags, and I want to remove the steering wheel because when it's cold, it squeeks sometimes, nothing but annoying. I know I have to lubricate some kind of seal, but could you please give me some details.

Thanks,
Alex

READ THIS....found from searching "STEERING WHEEL SQUEAK"...

Man that search feature is really COOL! :idea:

On a side note...I was at the Toyota house checking out the new Tacos...and they were discharging airbags. Guy told me they can't ship them undeployed...makes sense.

So they have this whole area cleared and with about 30 people watching they set the airbag down..."face down" hook up a couple wires....simple count down 5....4...3.....2...1....BOOOM! The thing shot close to 30 ft. in the air. Much higher than their two story building...

Watched about 5 or 6...go off....it was pretty cool. ;)

can't get the wheel off

alright, guys. long story short: gonna get my steering wheel recovered by american stitches. they don't have a loner in the meantime, so i bought one at salvage. had to buy the whole column, though. i CANNOT get that wheel off that column. i've removed the screws, the nut... everything. and i've pulled and pulled on that sucker, and it won't even think about coming off. any suggestions? 96 lx450, btw.

A handy tool called a steering wheel puller may work for you.

hmmmmm.....

yes, sir. that sounds like quite a handy tool indeed. i just may check into that, or just drop by the dealer w/the thing and see if they'll help a brotha out.

since you have 3 pulls in your future you might as well get the puller. they are nto expensive and they work quite well.

IIRC the bolts are 10MM

holy cow....

how much better that steering wheel puller made my life. thing popped right off'a there. you guys are definitely worth the price of admission!

Or you can also loosen the nut that holds the wheel on and pull with all your might. Be certain to leave the nut on the threads though so that when the wheel breaks loose the nut will keep the wheel from jaring uo into your face, which would probably break a thing or two.

Autozone will rent you out a steering wheel puller if you leave a deposit. Itll save you $20 for the puller

Darwood said:
Or you can also loosen the nut that holds the wheel on and pull with all your might. Be certain to leave the nut on the threads though so that when the wheel breaks loose the nut will keep the wheel from jaring uo into your face, which would probably break a thing or two.

Having recently done this I can tell you it is dificult to do without a puller after the steering column is removed from the vehicle, nothing to pull on.

RavenTai said:
Having recently done this I can tell you it is dificult to do without a puller after the steering column is removed from the vehicle, nothing to pull on.

Yes that would be very difficult to do if the column were out of the vehicle. ;)

lx, i don't know if you're still thinking about a new wheel, but i had mine recovered by american stitches - went from a worn out all-leather to a wood/leather. also had the shifter knob recovered. they did an amazing job! now i have an extra steering core and shifter knob if anybody's interested.

id be very intrested but id like to see some pics of your set up. how much was it as well?

mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom