Steering Wheel Removal - (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

tucker74

Threads
So I get a new steering wheel to replace the cracked and faded one on my '76 FJ40 - and I'm having some major problems. I should have known when I went to unscrew the center cap and the screws were rusted in place that I was in trouble :doh:. Of course I went right ahead and pried it off (knowing I had another one) and the center nut came off fine...but the shaft is rusted to the steering wheel. I tried to remove it with a steering wheel puller - only to manage to muck up the bolt (not to mention break off a bolt from the puller in the wheel).

Here's my question - has anyone come across a problem like this before? I tried beating it off with a rubber mallet...and now I'm letting the bolt soak all week in a bolt remover to try again. Should I drill and tap some new holes for a puller (kinda afraid to ... as of now I can still get the nut on the threads)?

Need a little help here - the wheel that is on there was so corroded that all the horn contacts fell out when I was hammering on it.

Tucker

I would let the bolt soak some more, and try it again with the steering wheel puller, Just get enough pressure on the puller to be firm, and then give it some taps with the mallet that should pop it off.
Otherwise maybe try a bit of heat on it. I dont think there are any other electrical connections other than the horn wire in there, I may be wrong but if your not going to melt any needed wires. then give it some stronger heat.

The puller is probably your best bet.
Soak,soak,soak,soak
and then tighten down the puller.
Loose the rubber mallet and hit the center bolt on the puller with a metal hammer.
Not enough to mushroom any threads, just a little bit of persuasion.

Good luck,
Brog

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom