Steering Wheel question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm about to begin restoring a steering wheel for my '71 FJ40. Does anyone know what the little metal thingy is on the underside is for?
steeringwheel.jpg
steeringwheel.jpg

No, the horn brush goes through the hole at 6 o'clock. The metal thing at 3 o'clock.

Hmmmm Mine is a 78 but most likely the same. I would say the signal lever return. Kicks the turn signal lever back to mid position.

Hmmmm Mine is a 78 but most likely the same. I would say the signal lever return. Kicks the turn signal lever back to mid position.

Yep, Roboosfj40s is right. It's the signal return lever.

How do you plan to 'restore' the wheel?

How do you plan to 'restore' the wheel?

Well, this wheel is actually in pretty good shape, although it has the usual cracking in the usual places. I sanded it down and then used my dremel tool to drill a small hole at both ends of each crack to stop it from spreading. Some of the larger cracks I used the dremel to clean out and make a little wider. Then I filled the holes and cracks with PC-7 epoxy. It's drying right now--takes a while to fully cure. Next, I'll sand with progressively finer sandpaper and then paint it with Krylon fusion paint.
It should look nice when done. Maybe not SteeringWheelBob quality, but good enough for my cruiser!
And then I'll see about getting the turn signal to cancel....

there should be 2 of those pins.

there should be 2 of those pins.

Theoretically. IMO, there should be NONE! I have said this before, but it bears repeating. Because of the inherent flexibility in the turn signal switch housing [being DESIGNED to be adjusted on the fly with one screw] it has the potential to come TOO CLOSE to the wheel.

When this happens, the cancel pins on the wheel can get JAMMED in the turn signal switch, causing the steering wheel to FREEZE!:eek::eek:

I have personally experienced this. It is nothing short of OMG scary. I have removed the cancel pins from ALL of my rigs, and advise everyone with a pre-73 cruiser with a stock wheel and column to do the same.

Best

Mark A.

And Pulso, thanks for the info. I shall be watching for more. I've got a couple of old wheels I'd like to fix up as well, so I'll be following your progress.

And Pulso, thanks for the info. I shall be watching for more. I've got a couple of old wheels I'd like to fix up as well, so I'll be following your progress.

I actually didn't think to document the process. I'll try to remember to post a pic when I'm done.
Here's a thread from a karmann ghia forum that I looked at before starting mine:
TheSamba.com :: View topic - 72 Ghia Vert Restoration Update

It's a full resto, but has a section on the steering wheel.
It's a good winter project!

Theoretically. IMO, there should be NONE! I have said this before, but it bears repeating. Because of the inherent flexibility in the turn signal switch housing [being DESIGNED to be adjusted on the fly with one screw] it has the potential to come TOO CLOSE to the wheel.

When this happens, the cancel pins on the wheel can get JAMMED in the turn signal switch, causing the steering wheel to FREEZE!:eek::eek:

I have personally experienced this. It is nothing short of OMG scary. I have removed the cancel pins from ALL of my rigs, and advise everyone with a pre-73 cruiser with a stock wheel and column to do the same.

I simply check and adjust my turn signal switch every so often :meh: like once or twice a year

oh, and in stock configuration, there is one such pin. When the steering wheel is properly set up, it cancels the turn signal switch in either direction - look at the switch and it will become clear how

Best

Mark A.

X2

Glad I was driving and not my bride:clap:

I used my armstrong steering to correct the jam.....

X3

This has happened to me more than once. I just moved the wheel a little bit in the direction and cancelled the switch manually to free it up. Driving a early FJ40 since the seventies I got use to things like this. That and keep my thumbs from rapping around the steering wheel while driving off road. A couple of bruised thumbs and you learn quick.

:cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom