Steering Wheel Points Straight - LC Goes Left (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Those with good memories (SOR) will remember that I have had this problem before. Last time the problem was sorted with a wheel allignment. The problem has reappeared so I have been to Toyota for a wheel allignment again. This time they tell me the allignment if spot on. The truck doesn't exactly pull to the left but wanders that way if I take my hand off the wheel. Toyota say to live with it - but I would rather correct the problem. I've thought about checking the tyre pressures and possibly rotating the wheels? Is either of these likely to solve the problem? Is there another likely cause I could check?

Cheers, Jim

They're a good place to start. Because of the crown in the road you will always tend to track towards the gutter. Since you drive on the left side then part of it might be that.
Also if you've lifted it be sure to have the caster correction bushings installed.

Jim,

You could possibly have a "tyre pull". Swap the front tyres side-to-side and see if the pull "follows" the tyre or stays the same. If the pull follows the tyre, there is your excuse to get new ones 8) .

Dan.

Thanks Dan. Do you really think that if I changed all the tyres for bigger ones this would sort the problem? I think that's what I'll do then. ...

First I'll try swapping them around.. It's not the camber as I've tried driving down the middle of a 3 lane motorway -- same thing happens.

Jim

Another thing Jim, if it doesn't follow the tires than also check the brakes. A caliper may be sticking slightly and dragging on that side. Both sets of pads should match on thickness as well as between pads on the same side. If you find a pad that is thinner than that pad is dragging from dirt in the mechanism or a sticky piston on the caliper.

Good-luck

Jim ... my 2 cents (poser content ahead )

My 80's wheel is still a little left of centre after the last alignment . Straight driving is affected somewhat , as others mentioned , by the roads crown ... I'm just wondering if you're kinda forcing the steering wheel dead straight , when really , by virtue of the way the that steering wheel was positioned during alignment , your 80 might naturally track straight when your steering wheel is left or right of centre instead . One day I'll get under my poser and re-adjust that rod thingie ... so the s-wheel is perfectly straight .

'sides , I still have to vacuum under the 80 , lay down some indoor-outdoor carpet ... buy a mood lamp for lighting , fire up a caramel bliss latte , and ensure that my assortment of vise-grips are polished and ready to go ! :D ;) :p

Cheers ,

Tyler

Hmmmmm,  I'll throw out another possiblity.....Could your cruiser drift represent your political views?

Sorry - couldn't resist with all this right and left stuff. :D :D :D

Have you replace the steering knuckle bearings? The 60 and 80 were tost. There were flat spots on the bearing. When I had the tie rod off the knuckle, the knuckle would stop/stick where the flat spots were. New beaings = one finger steering, goes straight down road.
kurt

[quote author=Tyler link=board=2;threadid=1591;start=0#msg9739 date=1057859983]
Jim ... my 2 cents (poser content ahead )
One day I'll get under my poser and re-adjust that rod thingie ... so the s-wheel is perfectly straight .
Cheers ,

Tyler
[/quote]

Wouldn't it be easier to just loosen the Steering wheel, yank it off, and pop it back on straight... rather than play with the relay rod?

William Miranda
TLCA#7390

William,

I believe if you remove the steering wheel and tried to put it back on straight you need to make sure that the arrows for the Airbag are lined correctly, therefore if you proceed by doing what you stated above you might have and Airbag out of alignment (very dangerous in case of an accident), Check the FSM for reference, it has a reference on that.

My $0.02

Al

Oops,.. didn't think about an airbag... mines a '91 and doesn't have one.

Plz disregard.

William Miranda
TLCA#7390

Last time I had this steering issue the dealer repositioned the steering wheel - so it is possible.

I have swapped the wheels from side to side, checked the tyre pressure, had the wheels aligned, inspected the discs for stones etc - the truck still wanders over to the left. The brake pads were in slight contact with the discs but not gripping them.

I'm at a bit of a loss what to try next. The steering wheel points to where the truck is going at all times - it's just that it doesn't want to drive in a straight line. I wish it was the camber but I have driven on the right (one way system) and the truck still wants to go left.

Only clue I've found (when the brake caliper was off) was the rubbers around the piston (?) were not quite seated correctly. Could this have something to do with the problem?

Jim

Jim,

IIRC, caster or perhaps cross-caster would be the issue as opposed to camber. Caster is not adjustable in an 80 but you could possibly have one or more bad leading rod bushings that have allowed the axle housing to rotate a bit. It wouldn't take much.

Dan.

"If I remember correctly", IIRC ::)

The steering box has a center position. You can not just pull the steering wheel and center it. The steering box is suposed to be at center, then adjust the drag link (relay rod) to get the steering wheel straight.

Jim does this problem post date your recent theft? Is it possible your friends hit a curb and bent something?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom